Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tips for building a custom table?  (Read 4612 times)

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
Tips for building a custom table?
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:10:36 PM »
I've been wanting a table as long as I've had a grill, pretty much. I was thinking of buying this kit from Home Depot, but then as I did more research, I decided to try to build my own. I found a great set of plans for this BGE table. What I like better about it is the enclosed cabinet and drawer, compared to just an open shelf on the bottom. I also happen to have a scrap piece is granite exactly the same size as in the plans.

I was planning to widen the hole to 24", giving a full inch around. What other tips and suggestions are there to keep the wood safe from burning? I was thinking of some oven gasket around the edge? I was looking at one of those stone rings from Tennessee stone, but the shipping more than doubles the cost of the thing, which is already pricy at $95

Edit: here's the link for the plans:

https://www.buildsomething.com/plans/P878B397D6A79D417/LargeGreenEggTable
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:14:26 PM by bstarr3 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tips for building a custom table?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
Nice!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »
measure twice, cut once ;)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
Very nice
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Should one inch be a good enough separation between wood and hot grill? I'm planning on using a set of qwesthunter's brackets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »
Should one inch be a good enough separation between wood and hot grill? I'm planning on using a set of qwesthunter's brackets.

An inch isn't a lot, where wood is. Not that it would catch fire necessarily, but I'd expect it to discolor and dry out in time. A flat, metal ring on the wood would help reflect heat back towards the bowl.

That's what the Imperial Sequoia had.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BertVentures

• WKC Brave
    • Mighty Pizza Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 04:31:36 AM »
I came across this https://tn-sd.com/charcoal-grill-mounts/ , it will insulate your grill from the table
Bert

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 05:17:57 AM »
I came across this https://tn-sd.com/charcoal-grill-mounts/ , it will insulate your grill from the table

Wow! That looks like a great product.  Thanks for sharing @BertVentures !
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:39:38 AM »

My only issue with this mount is that it is designed for the handle  or handles to rest on top of the ring.  Great for swapping a different  bowl at an instant, but not so much in the aesthethics department.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:02:01 AM »

My only issue with this mount is that it is designed for the handle  or handles to rest on top of the ring.  Great for swapping a different  bowl at an instant, but not so much in the aesthethics department.

I don’t see that. In the pictures they’re using a kettle with only one handle. Pretty sure the ring supports the bowl directly.  But I get what you mean about seeing the bowl handles from the table if you don’t wanna.

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 11:25:57 AM »

Yeah, this is the product I referenced in the OP.  It is a very cool product, and from what I can tell, calls for the bowl of the grill to rest in the ring.  You could grind the handles off or use a performer kettle with this.  It costs $95, which is kind of spendy considering how much I'll also be spending on good quality cedar lumber.  I was all ready to buy one, but what pushed it over the edge for me is that shipping costs $115, more than doubling the cost of the item!  I just couldn't deal with that, and so am looking at other options.

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 11:33:41 AM »
Edit: when I looked at it the other day, only options for shipping were FedEx express saver and Fed Ex 2 day, both over $100.  Today I looked at it again and the option appeared for FedEx ground, which while still expensive is only $33.  I went ahead and got one and will be incorporating it into my table.  Thanks for posting this and inspiring me to double check on the price!

Re-edit: I called them to check, because the website says pre-order.  They are still in preorder status and it will be 1-2 months before they will be shipping out.  Can't decide if it's worth it to wait on one.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 11:39:06 AM by bstarr3 »

meat_feet

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 03:39:20 PM »
You can make one in a weekend. I have absolutely no carpentry skills and popped this out with nothing but cheap 2x4's, a jigsaw, and a power drill.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:42:23 PM by meat_feet »

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »
You can make one in a weekend. I have absolutely no carpentry skills and popped this out with nothing but cheap 2x4's, a jigsaw, and a power drill.

That's a nice table. Good work for someone with no experience![emoji106]

What diameter did you cut your hole? Is it just resting on the handles or secured some other way? Any scorching of the wood?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

meat_feet

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 11:01:24 AM »

That's a nice table. Good work for someone with no experience![emoji106]

What diameter did you cut your hole? Is it just resting on the handles or secured some other way? Any scorching of the wood?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I made the hole slightly smaller than the opening of the bowl. No fires yet.  It's my grilling area, I use my performer for low & slow.