Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Disassembling an O Code SSP  (Read 1581 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Disassembling an O Code SSP
« on: May 20, 2018, 05:52:57 PM »
I’m hoping to score an old red SSP sometime soon, but my truck has a bad fuel pump right now. If I had to use my car to pick up this grill, I’d have to disassemble it to get it home. Does anyone have the knowledge to list the tools that I would need? Is it a bunch of sockets, or nuts, or Allen wrenches? I’d rather not have to haul my whole shop down there, but maybe that’d be the best idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Disassembling an O Code SSP
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 06:07:25 PM »
All you need are an adjustable wrench  and a socket, i don't remember the exact size.  A total of 12 bolts,  4 bowl mounts and 8 on the frame. Use a drill/driver and you should be done dismantling in 2 minutes flat.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:11:46 PM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Disassembling an O Code SSP
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:26:17 PM »
7/16” socket, and a rubber mallet (or hammer) to get the frame pieces apart after unbolting them.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:28:38 PM »
Careful moving that one around. You’ve got frame repair in your future, new star nuts etc but it can be done.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:11:46 PM »
7/16” socket or wrench to remove the horizontal leg supports, table top from the frame, and the kettle if necessary. Another 7/16” or adjustable wrench to hold the other side of the bolt holding the kettle in the frame, but leave it on if possible. A pliers to remove the clip from the burner if necessary. I recommend leaving the igniter in one piece and only removing the button side from the table before you get it home. You can leave the wheels and axle on as it barely takes up more space than the frame itself.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 02:56:06 AM »
Sounds like some good tips. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 03:40:31 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! And how quickly they were offered! I am glad it should be a quick process.... now I just need to score the damn thing!

This is in pretty bad shape, and very rusty; I doubt it would even roll around to the front of his house without falling over, but I plan to preserve as much as possible. At a minimum, I just want the SS top, bucket, ignitor, bowl/lid assembly in order to build a custom frame to support it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:59 AM »
Yeah I'd really use two people to carry that one. Trying to push it is only going to weaken what might be salvageable. Notice that the two bottom rails aren't even on it. The internal top tabs that slide down into the vertical pieces might snap off, if not already toast.

There are some old threads here about how to reinforce the frame. I had one agented by my sister a few years ago for her husband and when I got a chance to visit them, noticed the whole thing was leaning. I took the whole thing apart and gamely "built up" the internal top tabs with J-B Weld, let it set, then reassembled.

You'd be needing a few replacement star nuts as well. There's a couple methods for installing them ... All depends on if you want to keep/fix it, or maybe just use the pieces for other projects later on.

But yeah, get 'er first!

An O code SSP was my first, and is still my main cooker.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 06:01:50 AM »
Yeah I'd really use two people to carry that one. Trying to push it is only going to weaken what might be salvageable. Notice that the two bottom rails aren't even on it. The internal top tabs that slide down into the vertical pieces might snap off, if not already toast.

There are some old threads here about how to reinforce the frame. I had one agented by my sister a few years ago for her husband and when I got a chance to visit them, noticed the whole thing was leaning. I took the whole thing apart and gamely "built up" the internal top tabs with J-B Weld, let it set, then reassembled.

You'd be needing a few replacement star nuts as well. There's a couple methods for installing them ... All depends on if you want to keep/fix it, or maybe just use the pieces for other projects later on.

But yeah, get 'er first!

An O code SSP was my first, and is still my main cooker.
Yeah, I was able to check it out in person and close-up. It has been sitting there for a long time; it has sunk about two inches into the soil. It leans quite a bit despite a couple attempts at correcting it. I have two tentative plans for it. 1) Build a wood frame to end up having a Sequoia-SSP combo unit, or 2) buying new steel tubing and rebuilding/modifying the frame with it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:10:33 AM »
Do you need to borrow a shovel to excavate? Activate the 4WD? Rent-a-crane? Drill holes underneath and insert dynamite?

The tubes on these usually hold up decently. it's what's inside them/connects them that falls apart and needs repair or replacing.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 07:24:47 AM »

Do you need to borrow a shovel to excavate? Activate the 4WD? Rent-a-crane? Drill holes underneath and insert dynamite?

The tubes on these usually hold up decently. it's what's inside them/connects them that falls apart and needs repair or replacing.
It isn’t QUITE that bad LOL but it is good to know that the actual frame could be salvageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

[attachment deleted by admin]