Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Memorial Day coming fast!!! Whats Cookin'!?!?!?  (Read 2179 times)

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Memorial Day coming fast!!! Whats Cookin'!?!?!?
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:48:44 AM »
Hey fellas!!

Memorial Day holiday is fast approaching!!! 

I am doin up;

1. ABT's wrapped in BACON
2. Pepper Stout Beef and Baby Backs!!!
3. Smoked Mac n Cheese with BACON and Jalapenos
4. Prosciutto wrapped asparagus

My question to you is....

WHATS COOKIN?!?!?!

NEXT!!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: Memorial Day coming fast!!! Whats Cookin'!?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
Your menu sounds awesome--especially that smoked mac 'n cheese with bacon and jalapenos. Do you have a recipe you could share?

I think I'm going to be smoking some ribs. Jewel usually has a sale on them the weekend before--buy one, get one free--and we stock up.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 07:27:13 AM »
Honeybun just answered this with “I think we should do a brisket” so it looks like that will be part of our plan. I think I might also try out a variation on PSB that weekend and see how that turns out. And the MDW cries out for ribs so I think we will have to do some of those.

I think I might surf a couple of my books for something new to try...

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 08:06:59 AM »
I am considering a brisket run, but may also just do a shit ton of chicken drummies. I may also do the ABT’s ;) thanks for the reminder; forgot about thise

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

mrodgers

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 08:11:16 AM »
Friday meeting some friends on the bike trail and we are camping 2 days.  They are camping a 3rd but I have to be home for Monday with my girls.  So Friday will be a great meal when I pull out a Delmonico, potato, and hopefully I can find some corn and I'll be cooking over a fire while everyone else boils their water for their dehydrated Mountain House meals :D

Cooked the first of the 2 pack Delmonico as my first cook a week ago along with trying out some hot sausage patties to throw in the freezer for work lunches.  Texted the kids last week, "I have 9 burgers going on the grill Saturday and I can't eat 9 burgers."  Immediately got a "I'll be there" from both of them, so that was my 2nd cook on Saturday, bacon and cheddar mixed burgers with mushrooms.

Monday will be ribs.  I've smoked ribs on a cheap box smoker but I'm new to the Weber Kettle.  I know I can fit 2 racks on the 22, can I fit 3 using the snake method without a rib rack?  I don't think there's room.  I'll probably do 2 racks and leave 1 rack for myself at a later date.

I'm by myself so I like to cook big and put in the freezer so I don't have to cook during the week late in the evening after work.  I hope I can freeze some of the ribs afterwards to have later for work lunch.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Memorial Day coming fast!!! Whats Cookin'!?!?!?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »
I found an awesome International market in my area. Dropped in this past Sunday and found they carry Octopus and Goat.  Thinking I'll try my hand at a Greek style goat and grilled octopus with an ouzo chaser.

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »
Gonna try smoking some beef ribs on the 26r. Also will be grilling wings

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 06:10:48 PM »
I found an awesome International market in my area. Dropped in this past Sunday and found they carry Octopus and Goat.  Thinking I'll try my hand at a Greek style goat and grilled octopus with an ouzo chaser.

Super interested in hearing how this goes! Looking forward for the report.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 08:17:45 AM »
I'm going to try this pepper stout beef thing. Might throw son corn on cob in too.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »
Pork butt and baby back ribs. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »
@mrodgers, many moons ago before children and back when I was a bride (about 20 yrs, give or take) my (ex) husband and I went on a camping trip with friends and friends of friends. We were kind of the outsiders and as such, did not plan or even know about the group shopping trip they pulled together for the trip. So we arrive at campsite (a couple of them were there) in the late afternoon, set up our tent and set up our part of the campsite. We had a camp stove and portable grill. The Other Side has quite a laugh at all our gear and asked us why we bother to camp if we are bringing everything with us from home.

After a while we were getting hungry and asked our fellow campers what their dinner plans were. That’s when we learned  some member of their group was bringing their food. Okey Dokey, we will just get going on our dinner then. Bbq pork chops over the grill with one of those Lipton rice mixes and some kind of veg I don’t recall now. Nothing too fancy but the smell of that pork cooking was outstanding and that risotto mix dipped up all the juices. Plus things just taste better when camping. The other group was getting kind of grumbly about their lack of food and eventually took themselves off to a McDonald’s before the cannibalism began.

Next morning we get up and we start making our camp breakfast - bacon eggs toast and the best coffee on the planet, percolated and cooked in the camp stove. I don’t know why it always tastes better but it does. The Others: cold cereal. More grumbling and dissent in the ranks.

Lunchtime: we had homemade burgers, homemade potato salad and baked beans simmered over the campfire. Others: hot dogs. A growing over anger was building from the other side. Other side food planner promised dinner would be better.

Dinner: Other Side: frozen burger patties. Us: Steaks, baked potatoes cooked in the coals and fresh corn on the cob. When my ex pulled out those monster steaks, Other side exclaimed “oh come ON!!” And unanimously voted us in charge of food for any future trips. Lol.

I’ve never understood why folks equate camping with eating like you’re on the run from the law and broke. I was “glamping “ before they ever had a word for it.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »

@mrodgers, many moons ago before children and back when I was a bride (about 20 yrs, give or take) my (ex) husband and I went on a camping trip with friends and friends of friends. We were kind of the outsiders and as such, did not plan or even know about the group shopping trip they pulled together for the trip. So we arrive at campsite (a couple of them were there) in the late afternoon, set up our tent and set up our part of the campsite. We had a camp stove and portable grill. The Other Side has quite a laugh at all our gear and asked us why we bother to camp if we are bringing everything with us from home.

After a while we were getting hungry and asked our fellow campers what their dinner plans were. That’s when we learned  some member of their group was bringing their food. Okey Dokey, we will just get going on our dinner then. Bbq pork chops over the grill with one of those Lipton rice mixes and some kind of veg I don’t recall now. Nothing too fancy but the smell of that pork cooking was outstanding and that risotto mix dipped up all the juices. Plus things just taste better when camping. The other group was getting kind of grumbly about their lack of food and eventually took themselves off to a McDonald’s before the cannibalism began.

Next morning we get up and we start making our camp breakfast - bacon eggs toast and the best coffee on the planet, percolated and cooked in the camp stove. I don’t know why it always tastes better but it does. The Others: cold cereal. More grumbling and dissent in the ranks.

Lunchtime: we had homemade burgers, homemade potato salad and baked beans simmered over the campfire. Others: hot dogs. A growing over anger was building from the other side. Other side food planner promised dinner would be better.

Dinner: Other Side: frozen burger patties. Us: Steaks, baked potatoes cooked in the coals and fresh corn on the cob. When my ex pulled out those monster steaks, Other side exclaimed “oh come ON!!” And unanimously voted us in charge of food for any future trips. Lol.

I’ve never understood why folks equate camping with eating like you’re on the run from the law and broke. I was “glamping “ before they ever had a word for it.

I really liked this story, CarrieAnn, thanks for sharing!  I too am always designated Camp Chef.

Who says you can't eat well while camping? (pic heavy) http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=26381

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 01:54:44 PM »
I know it. Last month I went on a trip and it was prime rib, chicken, and so on ... all on a Jumbo Joe or the campfire pit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »
So my usual for a crowd is tri tip, burgers, atbs cuz it can feed a small group well. But i may try something new this time  , baby backs, wings or drumsticks, bacon wrapped asperigus,  corn , potatos, grilled salsa. But i donno. I kinda wanna try a pork butt but still dunno

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »
Having some family over on Saturday. Ribs, wings, beans, ATBs, basically the four food groups. Wife is making potato salad and coleslaw. I have four extra meaty pork back racks and plan to hang them in the 18.5 WSM. Wings on  a blue 22.5 using the gourmet grate and center basket made from a cut down charcoal ring for the WSM. Poppers on my WW Jumbo Joe and beans on the Gen 2 Performer. Still have a sixer of Hopslam Ale to get through before it expires. Probably do some dogs for the Grandkids. Making a strwberry-rhubarb pie in the morning. I have rhubarb ready in the garden.

Can’t wait!
Retired