Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Silver pick up  (Read 2228 times)

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Genesis Silver pick up
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:38:45 AM »
Picked up this Blue Genisis Silver last night

Needs a little bit of RRR.  Fires up with a match.  Igniter collector is spent.  Has two sets of grates.  Set of SS channel style and a set of decent porcelain/enamel grates. Also has SS flavorizer bars.  Needs a good cleaning.  Needs a caster too..  But I think i can handle all of that.. 

Just don't know what year...  no stickers or lables...  Anyone have any idea???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Genesis Silver pick up
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:55:28 AM »
Pull off the knobs, remove two screws and pull up the control panel.  You should see a sticker. 

It's a Genny Silver B from 2000 to 2004 I do believe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:57:31 AM by demosthenes9 »

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 05:53:30 PM »
Pulled the knobs n screws.  Nothing under ther the panel other than a B sitcker.  Thanks. 

Sent from my LG-V410 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 07:05:13 PM »
I'll post a picture tomorrow of where I think yours is ... I didn't see my sticker until I removed the cookbox and looked down and to the right on the frame.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 08:17:59 AM »
Quick update on the RRR.... I pulled the burner tubes to do a little cleaning of the box.  On inspection, I found the Cross over tube had several 1 inch long holes.  The #2 Burner tube was bent pretty badly.  It almost looks like it was assembled wrong from the start.  The burner tube set up was nothing like the Black Genny 3 burner I acquired.   I have a new full set with x-over and I will be installing those instead.  I picked up an igniter and collector from HD for 11 bucks.   I plan on steaming the interior and exterior of the cook box and hit them as well as the Trim parts of the Lid with some HT flat Black rustoleum. 

I plan on keeping this one for a while.  The SS Grates will come clean as well as the SS Flavorizer bars.  (Steaming those too).  ATS, I will see if I can locate that sticker.  Not going to get all hung up over the sticker.  I'd just like to to know exact model and year.  BUT... it will look fabulous as well as cook amazingly.

Thanks for the help.  I can't wait to get her all gussied up and pretty and put some heat to the Meat!!!

J

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:43:27 AM »
... I plan on steaming the interior and exterior of the cook box and hit them as well as the Trim parts of the Lid with some HT flat Black rustoleum. ...

Am I misreading this, or do you want to paint the inside of the cookbox? Brother, don't.

It's just raw aluminum in there, covered up in time by grease and gunk. High temp paint may stay on, but I'd imagine it'd stink for quite a while at there very least.

I forgot the picture. Here it is on one of mine, a DU code Silver C. I can't imagine Weber ever figured anyone would see it there, which is odd.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »
Nope not the Inside... just the outside of the cook box and trim parts for the Lid....

Thanks for the PIC!!

I looked all over the Frame and no bueno on the sticker or tag... 

The manifold retention clips were not there.  I had to unbolt the manifold from the Cook box to get the tube assembly out of the way to pull the tubes.  I borrowed a small hand held  "Bisselll steamer to do the dirty work. I hope it is up to the task.  I plan on hitting the inside with de-greaser, the steamer and 4 inch wire wheel to get the crud off.   We shall see.... 

J
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:52:34 AM by jeffrackmo »

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 06:22:40 PM »
Nope not the Inside... just the outside of the cook box and trim parts for the Lid....

Thanks for the PIC!!

I looked all over the Frame and no bueno on the sticker or tag... 

The manifold retention clips were not there.  I had to unbolt the manifold from the Cook box to get the tube assembly out of the way to pull the tubes.  I borrowed a small hand held  "Bisselll steamer to do the dirty work. I hope it is up to the task.  I plan on hitting the inside with de-greaser, the steamer and 4 inch wire wheel to get the crud off.   We shall see.... 

J
Update: 

Genny Blue is back to life.  After three days of scraping and degreasing and even more scraping......  the box was finally power washed with "greased lightning" cleaner.  Installed new burners and ingniter/collector. 

The SS grates n SS bars got the treatment too.   

General defunkified and assembled and one hit form the igniter and whoosh!!! she went...  I ran her up to and over 600 three times just to make sure all the funk was gone.  She's no show queen but she is clean and has all new parts AND she works and she looks Guud!!! [emoji106]

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
Nice! I need to do the same to mine soon.

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 07:09:45 PM »
If the manifold has the burner tubes with spider guards then it's pre 2001 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »
The new tubes have guards as did the old ones.  There was a label on the side of the control panel it "looked" like 0698. It was pretty faded.  It has the temp guide for proteins.   Doesn't seem that old but....   ?  Looked and works better than it did... 

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 10:57:46 PM »
Can you post a pic of that label ?

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 03:55:23 AM »
I pulled the. Panel and I tried to take a photo of the label.   It is VERY faded.   It almost looks like it's a DA code.  It is identical to the C I picked up last week.  The blue is now in the silv we C frame. 

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 03:56:37 AM »
Genny Blue mounted in the Silver C frame....

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »
That's a sweet looking Genny!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk