Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why do so few pix show up?  (Read 1764 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Why do so few pix show up?
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:04:11 PM »
I know I am new here, but I have noticed some recent threads and posts (like the Redheads thread in the Charcoal Grill forum) where people are very clearly referring to the photo they posted in the thread or even in that very post, yet I do not see the photo. Some give me the reject pacesetter that came into vogue when Photobucket went to crap. At least those tell me where the photo used to be before it became inaccessible.

No, I'm talking about no photo or place marker whatsoever in post where very clearly the OP placed or intended to place a post.  I have noticed this on other threads also, like the recent vintage 'cado thread.

Thanks!

Joe

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why do so few pix show up?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:39:30 PM »
This 'cado thread? http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/patent-pending-avocado-129361/

There's one photo in the first post, only.

Sometimes images won't show when using the site on TapaTalk. I'd have to see whatever other thread you're referring to to comment further.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:38:24 AM »
Hi A2S,  For instance, this thread on this guy's fire pit find, his picture does not show up. I know he posted one because a member replying said, "Looks great!"
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/finally-found-a-weber-fire-pit/

This one he talks about a new find he scored, but no pics are showing up for me. Could it be my browser? I use Safari on a MacBook Pro...
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/weathered-warrior-freebee/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:45:52 AM by putoluto »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:00:47 AM »
Sorry, dunno. I also use a MBP and Safari and can see them. (I'm still on Sierra.)

I don't know what sort of magic enables those forum-attached images to work. I do know that javascript allows the mage to popup instead of display in a new tab or window when clicked, but that doesn't address seeing it initially.

I know that they cause more problems than the images posted inline (using the IMG tags). There's something non-standard about how they're implemented here. "There is no free lunch."

This one's got me stumped. Sometimes relaunching Safari, or the Mac, can help with random strangeness.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »
The challenge is multi fold.
The forum is 6+ years old and we've gone through a variety of image hosting options.

There are currently:
- several different ways to share images
- several different platforms where forum content is presented (desktop browsers, mobile browsers, mobile app, desktop app, rss) - all of which interpret our variety of image hosting options differently

Now add into the mix:
- images that go away after they've been embedded (craigslist, photobucket, news sites, etc)
- images that do not allow embedding (these often still work for the OP because he has visited the hosting website. it's the rest of us that get hosed on this one)
- incorrectly embedded images (it doesn't require a rocket surgeon, but to the non-tech crowd posting an image is daunting)

TL;DR - Images are a bitch, like all things WKC - it's a hobby and a constant work in progress. :)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »
Hi Troy!

Apparently we are neighbors. I'm in the DP/LN area.  Thanks for the great explanation, I appreciate it. It was confounding me. Yes, I agree, ever since photo bucket took a dump, image hosting has been less than simple. I never liked Flickr, and the other options are not appealing either. I'd call it a PITA, Pain in the a$$.

Grizzle_Vizzle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »
For the record - I am having the same problem. I check the forum regularly...someone posts a picture of their cook, I can't see it, and everyone else writes "Looks grate" or similar, and all I can do is imagine it.

I use Google Chrome, but have the same problem on TapaTalk.
Love my Copper-Topped Performer Premium

Homerdog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 09:09:18 PM »
I have the same issue when I check the forums without logging in, no pics can be seen. But, after I log in, I can see all the pics. It used to not be that way.

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
When I see that the pictures are not loading, I'm shutting down the app and starting it once again. It helps always (I'm using the WKC app on Android).