Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Q220 igniter no workie, trouble shoot or replacement part?  (Read 1492 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
I recently acquired via CL, a 2006 Q220 green (to go with my 2008 BabyQ). The igniter on the Q220 is not working. I wiped out the old spider cocoon that was in there, but to no avail. I know I can just use a match to get her going, but I'd like to have it fully functioning. Is there some suggested troubleshooting (pulling spade plugs and polishing, etc.) that might get me back up and running or a recommended Weber replacement part?

Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Q220 igniter no workie, trouble shoot or replacement part?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:44:29 PM »
Does that have the piezo clicker or the electronic button?

If the former, any piezo clicker can be used. Zillions of old Webers used them. If the latter, give the button a little left turn and it'll come off, revealing a dead AA battery.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
Thanks A2S, I will check in the daylight tomorrow. I'm fairly certain it's a clicker.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:05:46 AM »
If it’s the piezo “clicker,” you can buy just that by itself. Like so: https://www.grillparts.com/weber/q200.asp?product_id=70401

But inspect your electrode on the igniter first. If it seems worn down you can replace that. It’ll usually come WITH a new piezo “clicker.” https://www.grillparts.com/weber/q200.asp?product_id=80462

I only call it “clicker” because they make that loud *click*, yeah?

OR you can be swanky and optionally upgrade to electronic spark, like the new ones all come with: https://www.grillparts.com/weber/q200.asp?product_id=80475

So again, IF you do have the electric setup, just “unscrew” (pushing slightly, turn left I think) the button and it should come off. Replace battery. If that’s you, AND replacing the battery doesn’t help, you may need to get the igniter regardless. The same one as in my second link. And toss the clicker it comes with.

Clear as mud?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:54:55 AM »
A2S, Not clear as mud, clear like ginger-ale.  I may pop the $10 extra to upgrade to the fancy electronic one, just to try it out.  Thanks for the links, exactly what I was looking for :-)

Puto

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:07:14 PM »
I have the 220 with the electronic igniter.  It quit working and replacing the battery did not fix it. Turns out the button went bad.  The button is only $5. Much cheaper than replacing the entire electronic setup.   

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »
Interesting. The outside button? How does that go bad. Do you mean it physically didn't push in correctly, or something?

Asking because I'm fairly new to the electronic style. I have it on a couple machines but haven't had any trouble with them yet.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »
Yep.  It was 6 years old and just worn out I guess. It would not push in and felt like the spring had given out. Was fixing to trash the worn out button after installing the replacement but I gave it to my brother in law and it worked on his q100 that was missing a button.  Thats what really shocked me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
Finally got around to replacing the igniter. Aside from struggling with the push tabs to remove the old push igniter, the rest of the assembly removed easily, and the new went in smoothly.

Thanks @addicted-to-smoke