Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 7407 as internal ash pan for 18.5" kettle  (Read 1957 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Weber 7407 as internal ash pan for 18.5" kettle
« on: May 12, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
My initial cook proved a success with this. I'll try it later with Adrenline's charcoal basket, but last night I used one full (small) Weber chimney (model #7447) of KBB tossed onto the grate, away from the walls.

Link to 7404, if you don't already have one laying around ---> https://www.amazon.com/Weber-7407-22-5-Inch-Replacement-Catcher/dp/B000WEOQ1I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526144042&sr=8-1&keywords=Weber+7407

I wanted to help shield the bottom of the bowl from further age/heat damage. The quicker cleanup after a cook is also nice.

I know what you’re thinking, “What about airflow? The Happy Cooker IAP has those holes located vertically around the perimeter …”

This sits on the straps, not the wall of the bowl, so there’s a constant air gap all around it. Your regular charcoal grate sits on top of the ash catcher just fine. Bonus: No more rusty grate-to-grate strap contact.

I'd love to hear from others that have tried this.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber 7407 as internal ash pan for 18.5" kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 03:42:45 PM »
interesting idea, will have to give it a go.. Thanks brother.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:14:47 PM »

I will be trying this also. Should be a lot easier for cleaning the ash. Thanks for posting this @addicted-to-smoke
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »

@addicted-to-smoke - Tried your ingenious internal ash pan idea tonight reverse searing a couple of pork chops. Not a #7409 but an older, rolled edge ash pan for a 22" I found laying around.  Works fantastic.  This will be used from now on in my 18" mbh's.  Thanks again for posting this.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  I'll be trying this after I give my 18 a cleaning
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:35:53 AM »
You do get a few wisps of ash down below if banking or using a charcoal basket, but it's still worth it.

And I'm really liking the Killa Grilla SS cook grate for the 18.5 kettle (not shown in my pic) also! That also would work as a charcoal grate for a 22 if you never want to have to buy one again ... not completely perfectly (it's about 1/2" too large) but still sits on the straps, just higher.

FYI, Mark told me that over time, if/when you/we start to see some surface rust form on the underside of a SS cook grate, it's because iron oxide from the charcoal grate always rises up (and will attach somewhere).
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:26 PM »
And I'm really liking the Killa Grilla SS cook grate for the 18.5 kettle (not shown in my pic) also! That also would work as a charcoal grate for a 22 if you never want to have to buy one again ... not completely perfectly (it's about 1/2" too large) but still sits on the straps, just higher.

He makes a charcoal grate for the 22”. I have it and it works grate.

http://killagrilla.com/item/round-bbq-stainless-charcoal-grill-grate-kg-weber-replacement

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:13:58 AM »

He makes a charcoal grate for the 22”. I have it and it works grate.

Oh, I know, but for $5 more you can get SS handles welded on, by using the 18.5" cook grate ... :) Just tossing that idea out there; I'd probably stick to the properly sized charcoal grate also.