Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CGA WGA Lid Vent Mod  (Read 1677 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
CGA WGA Lid Vent Mod
« on: May 10, 2018, 02:31:29 AM »
I've used these knobs on my Smokey Joe's and they've worked well. I'm not 100% sure if they'll melt in this application but they have metal inserts where it accepts the bolts. I don't have a lot of money into it, worst case scenario I unscrew the knob and take it off if it gets all melt. I'll report back with the results.

Has anyone shot a WGA Lid with an infrared temp gun to get a reading?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: CGA WGA Lid Vent Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 03:24:41 AM »
That sounds like a good idea Joe. I’m really liking my CGA but the lid and handle get really hot really fast. Curious to know how this works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:23:58 AM »
I see where you bought the drill bits from, but not "these knobs?"
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
CGA WGA Lid Vent Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 05:53:38 AM »
I see where you bought the drill bits from, but not "these knobs?"

Here you go-

https://northeastbbq.com/2016/03/17/webergrills-smokey-joe-lower-vent-mod/
Also the direct link-
https://amzn.to/2Idt5CW

It says in the description they are rated for 400 degrees. I’m not sure if the outside (close to the lid on the CGA) gets that hot. I plan to test today.

Product description
Strength, durability, and heat resistance are some of the benefits of this broad range of phenolic handle. Extremely versatile range of mountings. Female insert machined to suit. Mounting type: female insert. Thread length/depth: 3/8". Mounting diameter and threads per inch: 1/4-20. Plastic material: thermoset; insert material: brass. Measures 7/8" diameter by 2-41/64" height.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 06:03:30 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 06:46:27 AM »
Thanks Cap'n

That's a good look for it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 06:46:37 AM »
Maybe we can draw up some plans for zav to get mini vent handles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 06:52:01 AM »
I'm on the fence here. I have a new CGA (never been used) and one of the two lid vents is tight. the other is looser and spins at the slightest touch.

I realize some grease build-up will seal it, but i wonder if installing a handle won't make it looser over time, due to either weight or leverage?

#firstworldproblems

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
I'm on the fence here. I have a new CGA (never been used) and one of the two lid vents is tight. the other is looser and spins at the slightest touch.

I realize some grease build-up will seal it, but i wonder if installing a handle won't make it looser over time, due to either weight or leverage?

#firstworldproblems
The weight is not an issue. I just did a test with an. Infrared temp gun. I'll post the results. It was for a reverse sear ribeye with both bottom vents wide open and the top vent over the coals closed and the opposite top vent wide open

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ