Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: temps 300+ possible?  (Read 2792 times)

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
temps 300+ possible?
« on: May 09, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »
So just currious, is it possible to get the temps higher than 250-275 ? if so how?

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Re: temps 300+ possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:46 AM »
Oh yeah ! Take the water pan out , leave all vents wide open , and light a full chimney. Gets me 350 every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:00:31 AM »
ok cool.. just was curious. There are a few recipes I want to do which requires a little hotter temps.. so that is good to know.. thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »
Yesterday I dumped a chimney of unlit into my 18.5 and on top of that, 2/3 of lit charcoal.

I had 350-400 for a few hours, one or two bottom vents open.

If your WSM is 22.5 you might need more charcoal.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »
As Brian said...water pan out and wide open!

You can also crack the lid a little...that'll bump it up too.

I've had charcoal burn outs on my 18WSM's in the 450-475 range a few times. With meat in there...the number is closer to 350-400 like @addicted-to-smoke says.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 03:21:41 AM »
Get yourself a Hunsaker Vortex firebasket for the WSM and never look back!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
temps 300+ possible?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 03:49:01 AM »

When using the hunsaker vortex in a wsm and cooking something like a pork butt, do you use a drip pan or what happens with the grease?

And can you still use both grates for cooking on a 18?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:53:03 AM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 04:29:09 AM »
So they now actually make a Hunsaker for the 18? I’ve seen conflicting info.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 05:26:31 AM »

When using the hunsaker vortex in a wsm and cooking something like a pork butt, do you use a drip pan or what happens with the grease?

No pan. Grease hits the plate and vaporizes.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 05:47:31 AM »

No pan. Grease hits the plate and vaporizes.

And can you also utilize the lower grate?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
temps 300+ possible?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 05:56:40 AM »
Finally buried deep in the depths of the internet I found a comment by Harry soo saying both racks can be used. If you google it, I couldn’t find a single image where someone was using both racks.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:06:33 AM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »
Finally buried deep in the depths of the internet I found a comment by Harry soo saying both racks can be used. If you google it, I couldn’t find a single image where someone was using both racks.

Funny you should mention Soo. His site is where I specifically had read recently, that Hunsaker doesn't make one that fits the 18.5, but that may have been old info he got.

Seems to be the case: Here it is, they say it now fits both: https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/vortex-charcoal-basket-for-22-kettle-smoker

I suppose that since their Vortex (not Vortex) is taller than the typical setup, the concern might be that the handle (for example) is too high to permit the second grate?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
temps 300+ possible?
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 07:45:38 AM »

Funny you should mention Soo. His site is where I specifically had read recently, that Hunsaker doesn't make one that fits the 18.5, but that may have been old info he got.

Seems to be the case: Here it is, they say it now fits both: https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/collections/weber-modifications/products/vortex-charcoal-basket-for-22-kettle-smoker

I suppose that since their Vortex (not Vortex) is taller than the typical setup, the concern might be that the handle (for example) is too high to permit the second grate?

Yeah, I’m not totally sure. That link is where I saw that it says it fits both but not sure what size wsm soo was referring to.

Might have to sell a grill to fund this so I might send them an email to find out. Swamprb has been unknowingly twisting my arm for awhile.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 07:47:13 AM by HoosierKettle »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
Hunsaker makes a firebasket/vortex for both the 18/22WSMs.

They also make a vortex plate that sits on your charcoal ring and acts as a heat diffuser. The 18 and 22 are different sized plates.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 03:38:35 AM »
All the Hunsaker baskets I’ve got are on a 22” charcoal grate platform. I know that they won’t fit in my 30 Gallon Drum or an 18” Kettle. I’m pretty sure that they are using an 18” charcoal grate platform now.
As far as being able to use the lower grate- I’m not sure why you’d want to? Meats on the lower grate are going to be so close to intense heat and they’ll act as a heat sink to the upper grate meats. Plus the fact you’re going to have to rotate upper and lower meats and in doing so you’ll risk a grease fire because all that shifting around the lid will be off and all that oxygen is going to stoke the fire and it’s a recipe for disaster

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!