Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restoring my crooked "K" Redhead  (Read 3507 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Restoring my crooked "K" Redhead
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »
Hi guys,

I picked up my redhead on Saturday. Pics to come, I promise. Everything looks pretty good. The lid holder, thermo, handles, etc all look great. I already picked up new food and charcoal grates at my local Ace & ordered the following from Weber, with free shipping:

- updated ash catcher
- updated one touch
- hub cap buttons
- white leg cap

I stopped by Autozone to look at hi temp paint for the three small chips. I was surprised by the choices, and am hoping you guys can help. They had the following options all by the same brand (VHT):

550* Chrysler Red Engine Enamel
550* Ford Red Engine Enamel
550* Chevy Orange Engine Enamel
550* Chevy Red Orange Engine Enamel
900* Red Caliper Paint

Does anybody know which color will be the closet match to the "K" era redheads? The caps were so closely colored that I just couldn't tell which would be best, so I would really appreciate some input!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: Restoring my crooked "K" Redhead
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
Thats a really hard match.  Weber had so many variations of red.
I can tell you for sure that the Chrysler won't work.  Its too orangy!
Chevy orange is well...orange
I think Ford red might be too deep

The rest you should try small sections on the grill.  Once they dry, you can remove them with 0000 sandpaper.  That is if you spray them right onto the existing red paint.  Good luck
Kettle collector AND cooker!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:41 PM »
I use the 900 degree red caliper paint on two of mine.  It is a pretty good match and I like the 900 degree limit.  I know others have used the dupli color fire engine red.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff. That is helpful. Each of the chips is about the size of a dime. Two are on the rim and one is at the base of the handle. Surprisingly, the handle isn't bent and the lid isn't dented. I really don't see how it ever chipped. Anyhow, they're so small that I was hoping to use a brush to fill in the chips. That seemed preferrable to spraying the whole lid & body. The closer I can get to matching the color the better. Thanks again.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
I use the 900 degree red caliper paint on two of mine.  It is a pretty good match and I like the 900 degree limit.  I know others have used the dupli color fire engine red.

Thanks! I was thinking that the 900* looked pretty close, but I wasn't sure it was gloss. I assume it is?

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »
Yes,  it has a nice shine.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:19:41 PM »
I didn't have much luck painting the chips on my red K, either with color match or adhesion.  So I was going to skip the painting altogether on the chips on my 95 red Performer.  But now that I hear some good stuff about this caliper paint, I'll consider giving it a try.  Thanks for the tip. 
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »
I didn't have much luck painting the chips on my red K, either with color match or adhesion.  So I was going to skip the painting altogether on the chips on my 95 red Performer.  But now that I hear some good stuff about this caliper paint, I'll consider giving it a try.  Thanks for the tip.

What paint did you use, Mike?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
I can't remember-- it's out in my (dark) shed.  I'll try to remember to check it and post about it.  It's some stuff I got from Amazon.

I wouldn't recommend it, in any case.  It was too light-- almost pink.  And worse, it flaked right off pretty quickly. 
One of the charcoal people.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I plan to go pick up a can of VHT 900* Red Caliper spray paint. I'll use a small brush & lots of coats to fill in the chips, so if the color isn't just right I can go buy a lighter or darker color & try to mix them to color match. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 08:01:03 AM »
So many of these crooked K redheads are all chipped up.  Wonder if the paint that year had less toxic chemicals in it....
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:16 AM »

A lot of Redheds are chipped up.....ever notice that?

I have a theory about that......I think Redhead "owners" are just that much more brash & devil-may-care than your average grill owner, hence the possibilty of that much more wild activity......leading to possible mishaps....... :o :'(

I'll probably take it in the shorts for saying this amongst a bunch of people who now take really good care of their Redheads & all others, too......but this may be accurate....

PS: I think Red cars are still at the top of the heap for speeding tickets ?

See what I mean?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 08:27:21 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I plan to go pick up a can of VHT 900* Red Caliper spray paint. I'll use a small brush & lots of coats to fill in the chips, so if the color isn't just right I can go buy a lighter or darker color & try to mix them to color match. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

I remember that stuff is really bright red so it shouldn't look too bad. It might even look perfect. If you need it lighter spray some grey or white primer underneath
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »
So many of these crooked K redheads are all chipped up.  Wonder if the paint that year had less toxic chemicals in it....

Mine is actually quite good. Two chips on the rim of the lid and one at the base of the handle. All are smaller than a dime. It hasnt see a lot of use though, not yet, anyway.