Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Something I just can’t stand..  (Read 1680 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Something I just can’t stand..
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »
Sometimes I see a listing for a Weber kettle for sale that just came out of the garage or off the deck out back and I see the photos that the seller posted. And there it is.. lazy people selling a Weber that still has last years old charcoal in it.
Is it SO HARD to clean it out before you take that photo?
I’m not talking about a full blown grail find RRR treatment .. just dump the crap out of the poor abused grill before you take the photos :-(
Hitting it with a whisk broom would also be nice!

This same charcoal ash filled SJ was abused so bad it has Pucker Butt just thinking about its current owner :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Something I just can’t stand..
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
I don't see what the problem is?

A healthy squirt of lighter fluid and a match and you're ready to go! ;)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:01:46 AM »
Oh.. ok   Deep cleaning before it’s posted for sale ;-)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:17:26 AM »
I once picked up one with old ash in it. Asked, could we please dump it out? I have to transport it upside-down.

The owner turned it over right in the front yard. I understand "charcoal treatment" for the lawn can do a nice job of detoxifying it or something.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »
I once picked up one with old ash in it. Asked, could we please dump it out? I have to transport it upside-down.

The owner turned it over right in the front yard. I understand "charcoal treatment" for the lawn can do a nice job of detoxifying it or something.

I quickly ask a seller if they have a garbage bag as I'm picking up the kettle to dump out their ash/charcoal onto their yard!  I argued with a seller once for about 20 minutes b/c I didnt want his 2 bags of match light charcoal.....or the once fired charcoal in the grill he suggested I keep using!  Found a garbage quick once he realized I had no problem dumping it on his driveway.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
I always keep spare trash bags (and gloves) in the truck for picking up kettles. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 11:04:46 AM »
I always keep spare trash bags (and gloves) in the truck for picking up kettles. 

This, I'll use a reusable grocery bag and just dump the coals and ash in the trash.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »
One of my most recent weber purchases was a used WSM and this was the inside of the water bowl. That is all fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
I am averse to doing the seller's chores, but can't quite see myself going as far as lksdrinker ... BTW, Match-Light burns just fine. I'll always take free charcoal. Just gotta make sure it's fully lit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
I found a $15 18inch WSM on Craigslist for my brother in law. When we arrived, it had obviously been sitting outside with out a cover it's entire life. The bowl had standing water in it that hid the debris below. When the home owner went inside to make change, I told the BIL to dump out the water. He turned the bowl upside down in the front yard and left a giant pile of charcoal diarrhea behind. Home owner came out, stared at it, and said nothing. We had a good laugh on the way out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »
One of my most recent weber purchases was a used WSM and this was the inside of the water bowl. That is all fat.

Now THAT'S disgusting. Jeezus.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »

Now THAT'S disgusting. Jeezus.

yeah it was gross, but the entire smoker has cleaned up nicely, and will now live a life that will in no way be as harsh as it once had it.

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »
Last one I picked up the guy dumped in his
driveway himself.  Of course it was gravel
and he had 10 dump trucks parked behind the house.
Doubt you could even tell what it was by 8 the next morning.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
My kettles are not as pristine as I'd like them 2B, butt damn, you ain't gonna find any funky shit in ANY of my cookers. My WSM's pretty much sparkle. They don't get used as much as the kettles. My kettles get used almost daily, so they see dirty ash... a lot. Butt, they are kept "clean".
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »
... Home owner came out, stared at it, and said nothing. ...

Love it!

Ya gotta wonder if he was pissed or surprised, when in fact he should have been neither.

My favorites are the gassers that have charcoal and ash in them.