Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22” before first use question  (Read 730 times)

wrz0170

• Smokey Joe
22” before first use question
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:48:52 AM »
My apologies in advance if this is a repeat question.   If it is, I didn’t find anything on Google.  Anyway, got my new 22” Master-Touch.   The coal grate appears to have a packing oil coating on it.  Should I do a chimney of briquettes to burn that off?   

Thanks!

William

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
22” before first use question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:24:27 AM »
I personally won’t worry about it.. it’s most likely some sort of veggie based oil. The oil is only on it to protect it until you get it! It’s pure raw steel and it would rust in the box with out it.
First time you dump your coals on it the heat will blacken it like a cast iron pan... then that will burn off !
So re-oiling it will also be useless .

Just my .02 cent

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 08:26:47 AM by vwengguy »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 22” before first use question
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:27:33 AM »
I did a full chimney burn in my new grill just to burn the factory off and play with the vents to get to know the grill. Can’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

wrz0170

• Smokey Joe
Re: 22” before first use question
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
I did a full chimney burn in my new grill just to burn the factory off and play with the vents to get to know the grill. Can’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  My SNS is not here yet, so maybe not a bad idea to play around with vents and burn off the oil.  Also give me s good idea where the Weber thermometer  is in comparison to my new Thermo Pro.