Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle vs WSM - Settled!  (Read 1029 times)

wrz0170

• Smokey Joe
Kettle vs WSM - Settled!
« on: May 06, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
Just want to say thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my post: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/second-thoughts-on-kettle-vs-wsm/  I appreciate it.

Anyway, a 22” Master Touch will be in my immediate future since I decided to order a SNS Plus and drip pan combo.  Then getting the rest of the acoutrements, ie chimney, cover maybe Kingsford Original to start off with.  Already picked up a Thermo Pro Dual Probe, remote thermometer.   Anything else I might be missing?

Should prove fun and an interesting experience.  I’m guessing it’s been 35+ years since I’ve had any food made off a charcoal grill! Everything is gas now. 

Also, my better half is not quite convinced yet of getting one since she sees the gasser as fast, easy and convenient!   So I have a bit of convincing to do. 

William

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kettle vs WSM - Settled!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »
Anything else I might be missing?

Time, to play with the new toys. Take your time and enjoy the journey, friend!

my better half is not quite convinced yet

That's OK, it's really not for her William, unless she takes some personal interest in the processes. When she sees you working with it, learning it, and then serving great food, she'll understand your attraction to it, but don't expect her to want to amble out and play with charcoal necessarily.

Mine constantly wonders what the fuss is about, why the hassle? This, despite appreciating the food. I think she forgot what nasty stuff I used to cook indoors before learning about heat, outside.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 03:04:50 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

wrz0170

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 03:13:48 PM »
Anything else I might be missing?

Time, to play with the new toys. Take your time and enjoy the journey, friend!

my better half is not quite convinced yet

That's OK, it's really not for her William, unless she takes some personal interest in the processes. When she sees you working with it, learning it, and then serving great food, she'll understand your attraction to it, but don't expect her to want to amble out and play with charcoal necessarily.

Mine constantly wonders what the fuss is about, why the hassle? This, despite appreciating the food. I think she forgot what nasty stuff I used to cook indoors before learning about heat, outside.

Thanks!   She is familiar and comfortable around a grill and not afraid to use it.  I think for her it’s more along the lines, we already have a perfectly good grill with natural gas on demand.  Why do we need another one?

William

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 03:52:16 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Kettle vs WSM - Settled!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 03:59:42 PM »
My wife loves this hobby of mine more than anything I’ve ever done. She wouldn’t care if I came home with a summit. She’s just glad I’m doing the cooking.

Congrats on the kettle. Great choice and I’m sure she will love the food.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 04:00:17 PM »
   It's also therapeutic and fun, for me I like getting my briquett to lump charcoal ratio just right, choosing which wood chips to use and of course which kettle to use. In the end it's all about having fun.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 04:47:16 PM »
Just want to say thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my post: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/second-thoughts-on-kettle-vs-wsm/  I appreciate it.

Anyway, a 22” Master Touch will be in my immediate future since I decided to order a SNS Plus and drip pan combo.  Then getting the rest of the acoutrements, ie chimney, cover maybe Kingsford Original to start off with.  Already picked up a Thermo Pro Dual Probe, remote thermometer.   Anything else I might be missing?

Should prove fun and an interesting experience.  I’m guessing it’s been 35+ years since I’ve had any food made off a charcoal grill! Everything is gas now. 

Also, my better half is not quite convinced yet of getting one since she sees the gasser as fast, easy and convenient!   So I have a bit of convincing to do. 

William
The convincing will be easy, because the food you turn out will be phenomenal.  Gas grills  are a good alternative and have their place......but, once you start cooking on your kettle, you will both notice superior flavor....even simple cooks like burgers are better on the Kettle.  The results will be more than enough to change her mind.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »
Sounds like you’re all set!

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dcloin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 06:04:28 PM »
William,

A few years ago I was in the same boat as you.  I’d been cooking on a gas Weber for 20+ years and never used charcoal. I reasoned it was easier and we traveled a lot in the military.  After retiring from the military I bought a used 22.  First time out it was a little rough.  Had bottom vents closed and fire got cold and I think I finished on the gasser.  5 years later and I have a performer, 26, 22, jumbo joe and WSM.  I’m almost embarrassed to admit it but now I have a fairly new, 5 year! Genesis which only gets used to hold my charcoal starter till it cools off.  I’m sure the gasser is still great, I never had one complaint when using them and convinced quite a few others to purchase one also.  But, there is something satisfying about cooking over charcoal.  Besides the taste it’s almost therapeutic.  Hope you enjoy the new grill, I know I love mine.

Darvin

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 06:09:09 PM »
... First time out it was a little rough.  Had bottom vents closed and fire got cold and I think I finished on the gasser. ...

I was GIVEN a 22.5" One Touch Silver in 2001. A turkey was cooked on it (by someone else.) I think I may have used it once or twice after that, until 2013.

It happens!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch