Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Second thoughts on kettle vs WSM  (Read 2779 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Second thoughts on kettle vs WSM
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
Ok.. here is my .02 cents..
I have had gassers, and Weber Summit gassers and also 3 WSM in 2 sizes. And the lord knows I have had many kettles in many sizes. I used them all and loved everyone of them!
Because I now live in Europe and I’m looking at down sizing and hoping to move back to the states.. price and storage room are very high on my priority list. I can and would use all of them if I could keep them but in my case I can’t :-(
Seeing the current ( used ) prices of a good 22” and a WSM in the states.. I would say.. IF you have the space to store them so you can use them any time you want AND you can afford them without doing pain... get a 22” and a WSM to add to your gasser! You will use and love them all for everything they can do.
With those 3 you could cook everything and never say.. I wish I had..

Until weberitis strikes... then your in trouble ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 01:44:42 PM »
I love my kettles, but for smoking, its WSM all the way! I smoked with my kettles with the SNS and the Snake method but once I got a WSM, sold the SNS and rarely (if ever) smoke on the kettle anymore.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
I'd have to recommend having both a WSM and a kettle from my own experience.  The smokey mountain's designed for the purpose of low and slow long duration smoking sessions.  While the kettle can be used for that, it's a serious compromise in my mind; it was frustration with that which led me to getting the WSM at tax refund time a few years ago and I have never regretted owning both.

Zinn

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
Get yourself a 26.75 kettle. Great for grilling and smoking.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Second thoughts on kettle vs WSM
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
I like hawgheaven suggestion as well. Something like that or even a cb stacker. Don’t have either but if I had to do it again those would be strong considerations.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:17:21 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
Get yourself a 26.75 kettle. Great for grilling and smoking.

I like this suggestion too [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wrz0170

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »
Why not get one of each used ( kettle and WSM) and see which one you like better?

I have both kettles and smokers and personally enjoy cooking on the WSM’s a little bit more.

Unfortunately,   I can only get one or the other at this time.   :(  So if you could only get one to compliment or in some cases, not use the gasser at all!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 04:29:40 PM »
I had a WSM. Sold it

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
If you can only get one. Get the kettle. Preferably 26er like other members has suggested, but 22" will do. You can even smoke on CGA if you wanted. I prefer to use my 22" WSM for long cooks now that I know what WSM can do. That does not mean I am not using my other kettles for long cooks.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 04:46:57 PM »
If you can only get one. Get the kettle. Preferably 26er like other members has suggested, but 22" will do. You can even smoke on CGA if you wanted. I prefer to use my 22" WSM for long cooks now that I know what WSM can do. That does not mean I am not using my other kettles for long cooks.

Could not agree more. I’m using the 26” right now. Bought a couple of those take and bake dishes from sams.

I’ve always said if I could only own one, it would be the 26.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 04:50:47 PM »
Why not get one of each used ( kettle and WSM) and see which one you like better?

I have both kettles and smokers and personally enjoy cooking on the WSM’s a little bit more.

Unfortunately,   I can only get one or the other at this time.   :(  So if you could only get one to compliment or in some cases, not use the gasser at all!

Ok...go with a 26.75” kettle. It will check all the boxes... if you can’t swing a SNSXL at this time, learn what a snake can do. 2 racks of ribs easily flat or more in a rib rack. 2 pork butts or a packer brisket. I’ve smoked on mine before getting the WSM, and it works well for low and slow, but it’s hands down my favorite grill.

As said above ☝️...if I could only have one weber for the rest of my life, it would be a 26’er.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:52:30 PM by Mike in Roseville »

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 09:52:43 PM »
Look for a used one that you can buy at a fair price so you can try it out to see how it works. If you don’t like it much (which I doubt) then you can most likely sell it for what you bought it for. The big commitment is buying the SnS which you can hold off on buying right away. There’s a lot of opinions as what works best but you’ll have to figure out what’s best for you once you start using one.  To be honest, experimenting and trying new accessories and techniques you learn on this site is a big part of the fun of cooking on the Weber’s. If you like cooking outdoors and learn to put out good BBQ that your household likes then they will understand you getting more BBQ’s. After 10 BBQ’s they think your nuts though.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
If I could only have one Weber to handle all my grilling needs, without hesitation I would have a 26.75 Kettle. I wouldn't even consider a 22.5 size, it's too small for low and slow bbq smoking. The 26.75 kettle gives you more room so your food isn't sitting so close to the hot charcoal. Also, if you can't afford a Slow n' Sear XL for the 26.75 kettle, buy two charcoal rails instead and position them end to end to create one long extended rail. It obviously won't be as good as a Slow n' Sear XL, but it will give you a similar set up for your charcoal.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"