Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Second thoughts on kettle vs WSM  (Read 2778 times)

wrz0170

• Smokey Joe
Second thoughts on kettle vs WSM
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:33:35 AM »
So in my introduction, I mentioned I was considering a 22”  kettle as it appears to be versatile.  Especially with adding a Slow ‘N Sear.   Everything I have read, it’s the bomb.

Having second thoughts kettle vs getting the 18” WSM (I’m sure I’m not the first to wrestle with this dilemma).

I do have a Weber Genesis II (E-310) for my grilling needs.  Turn on my natural gas line and the way I go for fast, week/weekend grilling.

Would getting a kettle be a bit redundant for everyday needs vs smoking needs?  I would be looking to do ribs, wings, briskets, whole chickens.  Mostly for just 2 people and maybe the rare, occasional guest or two.

With all that said, am I still on the right track with the kettle + Slow ‘N Sear? Or get the WSM for those weekend, longer cooks and use the gasser for everything else?

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter!

William

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
Re: Second thoughts on kettle vs WSM
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:27:57 AM »
How much smoking vs. cooking are you planning on doing?

you could always get both!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:31:31 AM by FuzzyMan88 »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 08:29:11 AM »
I'd lean more toward the WSM if smoking is the main attraction; you'll also get greater capacity that way. But it's hard not to have at least ONE 22.5" kettle in the mix, since they are cheap on craigslist and enjoy zillions of accessories from many companies.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »

I do have a Weber Genesis II (E-310) for my grilling needs.  Turn on my natural gas line and the way I go for fast, week/weekend grilling.

Would getting a kettle be a bit redundant for everyday needs vs smoking needs?  I would be looking to do ribs, wings, briskets, whole chickens.  Mostly for just 2 people and maybe the rare, occasional guest or two.

With all that said, am I still on the right track with the kettle + Slow ‘N Sear? Or get the WSM for those weekend, longer cooks and use the gasser for everything else?

I would say get the kettle without the slow and sear and learn how to cook and smoke on it. You can smoke for 4+ people with it, no problem. It’s cheap and very versatile. The WKC will give you tips to be successful from the get go. You can use the kettle if you enjoy the taste and experience. Then you can decide if the more expensive wsm will meet your needs better. Generally the wsm will be better for smoking a lot more meat and holding temps for longer durations without fiddling.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »
So in my introduction, I mentioned I was considering a 22”  kettle as it appears to be versatile.  Especially with adding a Slow ‘N Sear.   Everything I have read, it’s the bomb.

Having second thoughts kettle vs getting the 18” WSM (I’m sure I’m not the first to wrestle with this dilemma).

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter!

William
If you are only smoking and plan on doing the rest of your cooks on a gasser, get the WSM.  If you want versatility to do more than low & slow smoke, get the Kettle.  WSM is the better smoker.  Kettle is good at smoking/turning out backyard bbq, and great at everything else.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
Take a look at this. Get the 22.5 kettle and this unit. I have two of them and luv them!! That way, you have a smoker AND a grill!

http://smoke-ez.com/product/smoke-ez-22-5in/
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 09:09:08 AM »
One thing the WSM can do is let your grill over direct heat without burning the meat. Remove water pan and lower cook grate. Fat and grease drips on the coals but any flame won’t reach food because of the distance.

Another, less random circumstance. Most foods cook better indirect, so on a kettle imagine the cook grate is half its size. That’ll be many of your situations. That’s not a concern with WSMs (or gassers.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 10:16:00 AM »
This isn’t even a debate. Kettle for sure. Wsm is nice but a kettle can do it all. Wsm is better for overnight. Kettle is better if rain pops up. Kettle can be left uncovered. Kettle is better unit all around

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 10:16:43 AM »
Your gasser will start collecting dust. Food is better on kettle

Wsm is pain in ass for set up. Kettle easy. Kettle good. Kettle must have.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »
See Kettle Love Kettle Buy Kettle
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »

Wsm is pain in ass for set up. Kettle easy. Kettle good. Kettle must have.

☝️ This guy...[emoji57]

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
Nobody listening? This thing rocks, turns your kettle into a WSM. Two racks for plenty of food, and you have two cookers in one... just not at the same time... I've used them in competitions, rock solid. Only thing I did to improve them... increased the "water pan" size and wadded up aluminum foil, placed in the "water pan", used as  a heat sink/deflector,  and foiled it over with a sheet of foil, with a slight dip in the middle to catch the grease. Been using this for years. Trust me.... it works...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »
Why not get one of each used ( kettle and WSM) and see which one you like better?

I have both kettles and smokers and personally enjoy cooking on the WSM’s a little bit more.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 11:51:32 AM »
For the record I love my wsm and highly recommend it, but if I had neither, I would buy a kettle first.

There’s a reason It’s not called weber smokey mountain club [emoji12]

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 12:36:58 PM »
Ha!

Fair enough. I started with kettles as most have, so that’s a logical progression.

Anything cooked under 1.5 hours I use a kettle...anything over...a WSM.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:08:41 PM by Mike in Roseville »