Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Does a dirty kettle affect temp?  (Read 2731 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Does a dirty kettle affect temp?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2018, 06:07:02 AM »

The 180 degree part didn't register to me thanks.

Either way I use me thermoworks smoke on every cook so that lid thermometer might as well not be there.

Like I said though I'll play around with some variables and hopefully get it dialed in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

That’s nice that the smoke will register higher temps. I’m not sure what my maverick reads but I can’t use it on hot cooks. It just reads hhh. I guess that means too hot lol.

Try using the force sometime and leave the thermo out. If you have a black kettle, bank the coals without any charcoal holder. That’s another chunk of steel you have to heat up.

I find charcoal holders limiting. I’ve utilized two zone cooking with no charcoal holder for years with no ill effects to the porcelain. I wouldn’t do it in my old grills out of precaution but I’ve had countless insanely hot fires banked in my black kettles with no problem. You can create a graduating two zone fire that you can’t do with a holder. They are useful and have their place for certain cooks but largely completely unnecessary.

A typical cook, I will dump a half lit chimney over the top of probably 3/4 chimney of used. At this point I leave the lid and grate off until you can visibly see a raging hot fire that will burn your hand off when anywhere near it.  Then put the lid on and let it settle a couple minutes and cook. Trust me, you won’t need a thermometer to know your cooking hot.  Here is an example or two

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2018, 07:14:49 AM »
For some reason, I don't think I've cooked stuffed peppers in a container before. But I run hot and cold on making things easier for myself.

Speaking of which, I agree that charcoal holders can be limiting for gaining extra heat or longer heat. My main objection to banking them, apart from not wanting to roach my colored bowls is that after the cook I have coals not contained in something easy to pick up and shake ash out of.

Edit: But I can see how you could simply pick up the grate with dead coals on it and gently shuffle and/or use a rake, and then probably (carefully) dump them into a chimney?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
Ats, the peppers and that other tray of asparagus were a couple of take and bake meals from sams club. They came in the foil and I was just following the oven directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app