Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Does a dirty kettle affect temp?  (Read 2730 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Does a dirty kettle affect temp?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 04:57:42 AM »
I dont know where youre from @Vette10R, but where I am (Ohio), it only recently started to get warm. I have a harder time getting my grill hot when the temps outside are below 45f, especially if it is extra windy too.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:22 AM »
I'm surprised to learn some of you don't sift out your charcoal holders after every cook. Why keep ash in there when it's so easy to get rid of? Did the gas grill break down again, and you're in a hurry? :)

It's Step One.

Even with just Weber's baskets, I pick them up and tilt toward me, so that small coals don't fall out of the open bottom slot. Give a couple side to side shakes and the ash that's on the coals falls away. They will now relight properly. Either leave them in, or add them to your chimney.

Step Two: I then remove the charcoal grate and drop it on the grass. Now ash is shook loose from that grate, so that only heat, not moisture, will attack the grate.

Step Three: Now I have an open pit for inspection and easy scrape or brush most of whatever the sweeps won't get. I don't empty the ash can with every cook, but now would be the time for that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 09:00:45 AM »
I dont know where youre from @Vette10R, but where I am (Ohio), it only recently started to get warm. I have a harder time getting my grill hot when the temps outside are below 45f, especially if it is extra windy too.
I'm in MN so I deal with the cold and understand the effects. Yesterday when j started this thread it was 75 degrees out, it's actually been very nice the last couple weeks here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »
I'm surprised to learn some of you don't sift out your charcoal holders after every cook. Why keep ash in there when it's so easy to get rid of? Did the gas grill break down again, and you're in a hurry? :)

It's Step One.

Even with just Weber's baskets, I pick them up and tilt toward me, so that small coals don't fall out of the open bottom slot. Give a couple side to side shakes and the ash that's on the coals falls away. They will now relight properly. Either leave them in, or add them to your chimney.

Step Two: I then remove the charcoal grate and drop it on the grass. Now ash is shook loose from that grate, so that only heat, not moisture, will attack the grate.

Step Three: Now I have an open pit for inspection and easy scrape or brush most of whatever the sweeps won't get. I don't empty the ash can with every cook, but now would be the time for that.
I always shake the ash from the SnS and chimney before each use they use the sweeps to knock everything into the ash pan.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 09:57:37 AM »
Sell the SNS for scrap metal,or leave it at the curb for local pick up,,,,,no need at all in a Weber kettle,

I and many others would respectfully disagree with you, especially if you are cooking on a vintage colored Kettle.  It does a great job with keeping the coals off the side of the bowl and it shines with low and slow cooking.  Have you ever used one to draw up this conclusion?
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »
Use a Vortex. Never had a problem with it, very versatile, been using it for years...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 03:17:51 PM »
For the record, I just ran 410f (lid thermometer) for over two hours with a full chimney of GFS Lump with bottom vent wide open and top vent open 60%. it is 65f outside right now.

I did have some GIANT pieces in this chimney this time though

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
For the record, I just ran 410f (lid thermometer) for over two hours with a full chimney of GFS Lump with bottom vent wide open and top vent open 60%. it is 65f outside right now.

I did have some GIANT pieces in this chimney this time though

What about grate temp? I never use the lid temo because it's always directly over my coals. Usually the lid thermometer is pegged to the max when grate is at 350 lol

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
What about grate temp? I never use the lid temo because it's always directly over my coals. Usually the lid thermometer is pegged to the max when grate is at 350 lol

Depends where that thermometer is located in relation to the heat. In a typical indirect cook, where the thermometer is hopefully over the food, the lid temp will be about 50 more than the grate temp. This has been so repeatable for me that I stopped using a grate thermometer in many cases. I just look at the lid and subtract about 30-50.

Lid temp and the grate temp will be more similar when smoking/barbecuing low-and-slow. With low heat, the temp is more even throughout the kettle. With grilling/higher heat, there's always hotter areas near the fuel AND up near the lid.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »

... because it's always directly over my coals. ...

Yeah stop doing that ... unless you have one those lids where the vent is 180 degrees from the thermometer.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »

Depends where that thermometer is located in relation to the heat. In a typical indirect cook, where the thermometer is hopefully over the food, the lid temp will be about 50 more than the grate temp. This has been so repeatable for me that I stopped using a grate thermometer in many cases. I just look at the lid and subtract about 30-50.

Lid temp and the grate temp will be more similar when smoking/barbecuing low-and-slow. With low heat, the temp is more even throughout the kettle. With grilling/higher heat, there's always hotter areas near the fuel AND up near the lid.
my lid has the vent and thermometer on opposite halves of the lid. I always place my vent opposite the coals; so the vent is over the meat. This means my thermometer was directly over the coals. However, like addicted to smoke, I have noticed a 50f difference from the lid therm being over the coals to the lid therm opposite the coals. (I’ve twisted the lid around and checked). I ran 410 over the coals. And if I’m using a lid therm, I’m not using my hockey puck grate therm.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
How do I stop doing that? The lid thermometer is opposite of the lid vent. I thought you put the vent over the indirect side which obviously puts the thermometer over the coals...

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2018, 06:43:10 PM »

How do I stop doing that? The lid thermometer is opposite of the lid vent. I thought you put the vent over the indirect side which obviously puts the thermometer over the coals...

He said stop it only if your lid doesn’t have the vent and therm 180 degrees from each other (opposite halves). Continue placing your vent over the meat (opposite the coals) and just subtract 50f from what the lid thermometer says. You can temporarily twist your lid around to verify that 50f number. 

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2018, 05:25:32 AM »
The 180 degree part didn't register to me thanks.

Either way I use me thermoworks smoke on every cook so that lid thermometer might as well not be there.

Like I said though I'll play around with some variables and hopefully get it dialed in.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2018, 05:57:26 AM »

Sell the SNS for scrap metal,or leave it at the curb for local pick up,,,,,no need at all in a Weber kettle,

Strange...... I love my SnS.   It works great .