Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Does a dirty kettle affect temp?  (Read 2733 times)

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
Does a dirty kettle affect temp?
« on: May 03, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »
I feel like I've been having trouble getting temps into the 400s. I use the SnS and if I remember correctly I didn't have any issues at first. I bought this kettle new last summer and haven't cleaned the inside at all other than using the ash sweeps. Theres a good amount of build up in the lower part of the kettle and I'm wondering if I should scrape that out to help get the temps up?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Does a dirty kettle affect temp?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Ash and grease build-up at the bottom will cause the sweeps not to seal when done, and over time bend the sweeps upward, causing greater fuel usage since it won't snuff out as well.

But it won't make the grill run cooler. That's all about airflow, and giving coals time to fully get cranked up, especially if not using a chimney.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 04:47:10 PM »
I always use a chimney, I use either web briquettes, RO briquettes or RO lump. The lump gets over 400, the weber will top but I cant get the RO briq over 400...

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »
One chimney may not get you much past 400 depending on how coals are arranged and where it's measured. I guess it depends on what you are trying to cook, and how.

There's a natural governor a 22 has, based on its size and shape, but it can be overcome with say 2-3 chimney's worth of charcoal!

I have a dislike of RO briquettes because they are a little smaller, and so they die sooner than KB blue in my experience. But that's probably a red herring here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:04:42 PM »
This is my first bag of RO briqs and I'm not a fan...

Problem with more than one chimney is it won't all fit in the SnS. I guess I don't need to use it all the time but I do like using it

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 05:10:00 PM »
Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes? I’ve had no problem cracking 450+ with a single full chimney. I let them nearly ash over at the top though. I wait till the top briquettes are 1/4 to 1/2 ashed over then dump it. All vents wide open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
Royal Oak Ridge Briquettes? I’ve had no problem cracking 450+ with a single full chimney. I let them nearly ash over at the top though. I wait till the top briquettes are 1/4 to 1/2 ashed over then dump it. All vents wide open.

That's exactly what I did tonight and maxed out at 393 with all vents wide open

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Does a dirty kettle affect temp?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
A couple factors at play. Are you using the lid thermo as a guide?  That’s ok but they can deceive.

Do you have the sns plus?  Any ash build up at all coupled with that grid pattern of the plus would reduce airflow. Honestly 1 full chimney with vents wide open should be at least 550 when you first dump and settle around 450-500 with all vents open with clean airflow. That’s without any gizmo in the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »
I use the thermoworks smoke for temp, it's off to the side just past the removable center grate so not all the way to the side. I do have the SnS plus but I shake that out each time i use it.

I do end up re-using a very small amount of charcoal from the previous cook but it's never that much.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »

I use the thermoworks smoke for temp, it's off to the side just past the removable center grate so not all the way to the side. I do have the SnS plus but I shake that out each time i use it.

I do end up re-using a very small amount of charcoal from the previous cook but it's never that much.

I use the Marty bigger better basket mod and it can be very temperamental if there is any ash at all. I find it’s best to dump it completely and refill with the usable used coal then dump the new on top. There might be some ash that isn’t shaking out completely.  You might try dumping it and refilling if you haven’t already.

As long as there is clean airflow, it cranks just like the sns does I’m sure.

Just like addicted to smoke said, a dirty kettle shouldn’t be causing you any trouble at all as long as the vents are open.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 06:12:31 PM »
Try a different bag from a different store. Maybe this supply got wet or damp somehow. Good dry fuel shouldn’t give you any trouble.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
I'll play around with it I just wasnt sure if that dirty kettle was affecting it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »
Sell the SNS for scrap metal,or leave it at the curb for local pick up,,,,,no need at all in a Weber kettle,

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 01:26:40 AM »
I use the Marty bigger better basket mod and it can be very temperamental if there is any ash at all. I find it’s best to dump it completely...

Yes, my ash can be temperamental at times. Dumping helps a lot.

Marty

I did a cook the other night and had no trouble maintaining 450ish. Single layer of raw KBB in the bottom of my BBBasket, 2/3chimney of lit on top of that. Kind of windy, so that probably helped airflow. Grill itself is filthy, but I keep it swept out. I have also noticed that if the ash pan is too full it seems to choke airflow, but I don’t empty it every cook, and have not noticed a huge difference. Ambinet temps can be a factor too. I did have a few small chunks of hickory in the mix, so they may have raised temps too. Lots of variables, but clean airflow is key. You can crack the lid a bit to bring in more air and keep temps up. They do that at the Weber Grill restaurant so it’s a legit technique.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:42:33 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 02:39:07 AM »
PLEASE!  Everyone knows a dirty kettle affects temp.

In pics, the clean ones are usually much hotter.

But, in person, the ones currently in the process of being dirtied are hotter.
regards,
Hal