Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit 4 burner refurb  (Read 1840 times)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Summit 4 burner refurb
« on: May 03, 2018, 06:25:53 AM »
Against my better judgement I bought this old Summit to refurbish.  I've been reading the forums and understand there's quite a few parts Weber no longer supports. Any tips, advice, or comments are certainly welcome.  Btw, the metal that the burners go through to the box are rusted out a little and the frame needs to be reworked. Lid is good though! And the grates are great...lol. They fit my genny

Sent from my VS996 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Re: Summit 4 burner refurb
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 06:26:44 AM »
Against my better judgement I bought this old Summit to refurbish.  I've been reading the forums and understand there's quite a few parts Weber no longer supports. Any tips, advice, or comments are certainly welcome.  Btw, the metal that the burners go through to the box are rusted out a little and the frame needs to be reworked. Lid is good though! And the grates are great...lol. They fit my genny

Thought I attached the picture

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 07:10:09 AM »
That's a beautiful Summit and most of it is built like a tank!

You'll definitely want to address the rust in the front of the grill box.   Use a rust converter such as Ospho, Naval jelly or something similar.    These products will actually change the chemical structure of the rust from iron oxide ti iron phosphate.   Do NOT use rust remover as you'll lose metal.

Alternatively, if you have metal working skills or have a friend that can work metal, you might look to having  anew piece formed out of stainless.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
BTW, it's missing the condiment racks on each side and unfortunately, I don't think they are available at the normal parts websites.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:26:28 PM »
Thank you demosthenes9. I have not read about those rust products so I will be checking those out. I will be pursuing both angles...  Preserve and restore the original part but also  make another just like it. I knew that the spice racks were gone and no replacement parts are available so I am searching for another grill on all the sites.  I found a beautiful 4 burner summit in Phoenix but there's no way I can justify getting that one.. is just too far away.  I hope someone on here gets that one though! It's really pristine.  I am a ways out on getting mine close to that one but I'm determined! Thanks for your advice!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:49:35 PM »
Found a donor for the OP line.  Gonna fire the old girl up!

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 06:52:03 PM »
With some of this

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 07:17:43 PM »
Very nice to have some flame

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 06:19:51 PM »
Cool looking grill!  Keep it up and keep updating as you go.  Never seen a colored summit in person or local and only a few online before.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:28 AM »
moving along nicely, good looking grill
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill