Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'm not a fan of dome thermometers, but I like inaccurate ones even less.  (Read 2097 times)

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
Am I the only person who swaps out the default dome thermometers with Tel-Tru?

I'd much rather have a digital dome thermometer (or no dome thermometer at all), but if I have to have one, I'm at least going to have an accurate one!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:24:33 PM by ZebraZoo »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
A worthy upgrayedd

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I like and have installed a few of Tel-Tru’s but a new Weber thermo is fine as-is. They just eventually flake out. The bigger issue is the location of any lid thermo is wrong and irrelevant.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I'm not a fan of dome thermometers, but I like inaccurate ones even less.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 03:26:01 AM »
I’m a big fan of the lid thermo. That’s primarily what I use regardless of the bad press they receive. They give me a good general idea of what the cooker is doing and that’s all I need.

I’ve been eyeballing the tel tru for months but I’m just too darn cheap to pull the trigger.

My most accurate weber thermometer is the one with the long stem that were used on various previous models like the original master touch grills.

I only have one, so I move it around to different grills as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:28:04 AM by HoosierKettle »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I’m a big fan of the lid thermo. That’s primarily what I use regardless of the bad press they receive. They give me a good general idea of what the cooker is doing and that’s all I need.

I can't disagree. That's my pattern also. I went through a long period of using an oven thermometer on the grate. I got tired of always wiping the grease off of it (and pre-greasing did not help), finding cook grate space for it that was relevant, finding it stashed in the kitchen.

I still use it as a baseline tool when desired. And to remind me of just how off the lid thermo is. I see the lid thermo as a way of helping ensure you don't over cook the food, because the grill always looks hotter than it is.

And then I went with a Maverick until I discovered one of my probe inputs (not the probes, but a probe input) always read a solid 20 degrees off, and I could never remember in which direction or which input was off. That, and the Maverick interface is a joke. I have a Smoke but it's still in the box.

My most accurate weber thermometer is the one with the long stem that were used on various previous models like the original master touch grills.

Same one they put to the right side of the Genesis lid, except in that case Weber actually advertised similar versatility. I think it was suggested to be used as a meat probe. And that makes sense if you can leave it in, since the temp on a gasser only really "varies" when the tank runs dry ...

Do you use the long stem thermo as a meat probe, or just wrap in foil or a potato and use to check grate temps?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

I can't disagree. That's my pattern also. I went through a long period of using an oven thermometer on the grate. I got tired of always wiping the grease off of it (and pre-greasing did not help), finding cook grate space for it that was relevant, finding it stashed in the kitchen.

I still use it as a baseline tool when desired. And to remind me of just how off the lid thermo is. I see the lid thermo as a way of helping ensure you don't over cook the food, because the grill always looks hotter than it is.

And then I went with a Maverick until I discovered one of my probe inputs (not the probes, but a probe input) always read a solid 20 degrees off, and I could never remember in which direction or which input was off. That, and the Maverick interface is a joke. I have a Smoke but it's still in the box.

Same one they put to the right side of the Genesis lid, except in that case Weber actually advertised similar versatility. I think it was suggested to be used as a meat probe. And that makes sense if you can leave it in, since the temp on a gasser only really "varies" when the tank runs dry ...

Do you use the long stem thermo as a meat probe, or just wrap in foil or a potato and use to check grate temps?

I stick it in the lid vent at an angle to where I can read it from my kitchen window.

I shoot for a general temp range and don’t like maintaining or messing with with wires and gizmos. I will use a simple single probe digital meat thermometer for cheese smoking or at the last couple hours cooking a brisket.

I do respect the fact that the tech side of this hobby is fun for a lot of people but I prefer simple and cheap.

My most used digital gadget is a $25 javelin instant read. I love that thing.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I'm not a fan of dome thermometers, but I like inaccurate ones even less.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 05:53:45 AM »
No, I do not use the long stem weber thermo as a meat thermometer.

ZebraZoo

• Smokey Joe
On my smoker I use a Fireboard. It’s great for 20 hour cooks.  I’m too lazy to fiddle with charcoal that long. Most of the things I cook on my kettle just get the thermapen.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ

...I do respect the fact that the tech side of this hobby is fun for a lot of people but I prefer simple and cheap.

My most used digital gadget is a $25 javelin instant read. I love that thing.

Couldn't agree more. My most used digital gadget is my Thermapen.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Am I the only person who swaps out the default dome thermometers with Tel-Tru?

I'd much rather have a digital dome thermometer (or no dome thermometer at all), but if I have to have one, I'm at least going to have an accurate one!

That's the first thing I do with all my cookers.