Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Black Galley Que  (Read 3505 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Black Galley Que
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:51 PM »
This is only one of two I know of. I give a big thanks to Ed for sending this to me. I did a little clean up and repairs to it. I also had to make the legs. Notice they have a bend to them. I tried to give it the original look like Ed's. The bottom vent like the vent handle is also chrome. Enjoy! :)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Black Galley Que
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »
Nice!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Black Galley Que
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
Whoa! No way that's a great save , awesome piece of history .
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Craig

• WKC Mod
Black Galley Que
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:06:14 PM »
That is awesome!!! Sweet find!!! 8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Black Galley Que
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »

And......the cable is so you don't lose your lid overboard?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
That is Sweet! WKC member helps another, nothing like sharing!

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »
Dr Duke did an excellent job. 

This is the before picture of the Galley Que in the bone yard

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 06:35:32 PM »
Very nice Shaun! You know I dig those SJs...
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
So awesome! Where in the world did you find it? Please be specific. lol  ;)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:46 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Yes Buckie the clip is to keep from losing the lid. I really like the ash catcher. I wish they would put these on newer grills.

PBE, Ed tells me he checks boat salvage yards which is a great idea.

Ed, thanks again you are a class act!

Now, I can't wait for the pictures area to get finished. ;)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
Exactly how specific?  I can go on for a while......

I have been lucky enough to find three Galley Q's.  Two black and one Aqua.  The two black ones were semi local finds, the Aqua one was ebay.  One of the black Galley Q's was a first rate classic perv.  Part of my sales territory includes the FL panhandle, so I would drive by marinias, looking at the sterns of the sail boats in the slips for a Aqua Galley Q.  At the time I didn't know about the Black Galley Q's so I wasnt looking for a black grill.  There are a lot of Magna grills mounted on the rails, they are stainless steel with green or blue cloth covers.  One day at a marinia in Peridio Key FL I saw what I thought to be a rigged Smokey Joe on the back of a boat.  I asked the marinia employee to pass a note to the boat owner, that I was interested in the Smokey Joe on his boat.  Turns out, the owner wanted to sell his boat, so the next time I was in the area, I toured the boat, and found that it was actually a black Galley Q.  I offered to buy the guy a Magna grill to replace his Galley Q, but he just sold it to me for $30 instead.  That was good because the Magna grills are really expensive.  The other black Galley Q was local in Atlanta.  I saw an ad in a "boats for sale" magazine, (CL or newspaper classified, I can't remember) and in the describition of the boat features it mentioned that the boat had a Weber grill.  I called the owner and said I wanted to buy just the Weber grill, he sold it for $10 or $20.   

The Aqua Galley Q was an ebay find.  I can't remember how much, maybe $50-$60.  It was the second one I found on ebay, the first one the seller backed out after I had won the auction.  I think he got a higher offer after the bidding was over because he kept saying he had the right to refuse any offer???  Any way the Aqua Galley Q's don't have "Weber" stamped on them anywhere, so they usually won't show up as a Weber grill for sale.  Try aqua/blue charcoal grill, or charcoal boat grill.  Get a "boats for sale" magazine and look through the discribition for mounted grill, call and ask what kind of grill it is.   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:43:48 PM by reillyranch »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »
Good advice and I bet there are lots out there. I have a feeling weber was about the only company making them at the time. Have you seen any other old brands for boats Ed? What's better than bbq and fishing combined?

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
Yeah, there ware a few grills built for boaters. but Weber was the only one that could be mounted because of the "covered cooking" concept.  All the others were open braziers or habitchi style. the wind would ruin any attempt to cook over charcoal.  I think once gas grills became popular, the old charcoal style sales dried up.  The Coleman, kamp Kook and other gas burners were used alot to fry the fish with.     

I have a cool picture with a few other boater brands for sale in the 50's. 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:56:03 PM by reillyranch »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Please share any other pictures you have. I bet there's at least one NIB in some old boat shop somewheres..........

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »