Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: deep dish help  (Read 1807 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
deep dish help
« on: April 26, 2018, 06:36:34 AM »
Hey all,
Before I get blasted....I did a search, but most of the pics fell victim to photobucket crap.   and I still had some questions.
I finally got a BS Pizza oven.  Was planning on making a pie tonight.  Then I thought I'd try a deep dish style.  Then I realized my CI skillet won't fit in the BS oven with the handle.  I don't want to cut the handle off this one (mod for another pan sometime).  So, I want to make a Sausage deep dish pizza with the PizzaQue.
I've never done a deep dish style.... What temp should I shoot for on the PizzaQue?   How long should I expect to cook starting with a cold CI pan?
Then ingredients are layered, start with sausage.   Anyone tried a layer of American cheese? or should I stick with Mozz here?  then top with chunky sauce and shredded mozz.
Thanks in advance!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: deep dish help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:00:33 AM »
Personally I would use your regular oven even though it might not be as fun. Your results will be great

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 07:06:48 AM »
I thought about using the gasser,(which I consider an oven just outside) but I'd feel bad about not using all the pizza specific 'tools' I have!   lol
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
I've had good success with CI deep dish at around 400F. You need to watch out for the radiant heat emminating on the CI as the black surface absorbs a lot of heat over the long cook and your pizza will burn in that area. So you are going for high heat but as indirect as possible
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »
I've done one.  Setup my coals on one side and cooked the pizza on the other side.  I rotated the pan a couple times during the cook.  Like gummi said, 400F sounds about right.  I have a Kettle Pizza but don't think I would use that if I did another deep dish.  It's not really going to give you any benefit in my opinion.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »
One more for high heat, indirect cook.  You could use your KP, but it would probably be easier without.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:34:43 AM »
Seems like a 26er with a SNS would be great way to do a CI deep dish, I believe I have been motivated
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »
Thanks guys!
Life got in the way and I didn't get to make it last night. So I was going to try it again tonight....now it's raining!  I've decided to do my first deep dish pie in the gasser.  Take copious notes and experiment from there!
Have a great weekend all!!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 01:17:54 PM »
Thanks guys!
Life got in the way and I didn't get to make it last night. So I was going to try it again tonight....now it's raining!  I've decided to do my first deep dish pie in the gasser.  Take copious notes and experiment from there!
Have a great weekend all!!

Looking forward to reading about the results and learning with you!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.