Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Partial stainless GBS... With an added bonus.  (Read 2526 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Partial stainless GBS... With an added bonus.
« on: April 10, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
So I've been eying a Genesis grate #7587 to go on sale for quite sometime just for the sole purpose of using the center grate on the plated gbs grate, and what do you know i finally found one on clearance for $22.  Not only did i got a stainless center grate, but ended ended up with a raised searing grate by re-purposing the remaining parts.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:37:32 AM by Jules V. »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Partial stainless GBS... With an added bonus.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
Oh man I'll have to keep an eye out for this now. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the grate.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 04:00:45 PM »
Ooh nice. The 7586 is also SS, just a little smaller.

So Jules, from the pieces you have left, I'm thinkin' you could strap them together and use on an 18.5": kettle? Maybe with some trimming.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
I have a genesis that could use a new grate.. where did you dmfind it for $22 at?

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
I have a genesis that could use a new grate.. where did you dmfind it for $22 at?
Got it at a local store. It’s an opened/damaged box item. I wish they had more because for $22, i would have bought at least 5. 

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:15:26 AM »
I'm thinkin' you could strap them together and use on an 18.5": kettle? Maybe with some trimming.

I picked up a 7587 on the cheap about a year ago. I have a lot of 18" grills. I'm going to have to look into this......
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
Thank you for the GRATE Idea!!!!
Saludos from Juarez Mexico
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »
I'm thinkin' you could strap them together and use on an 18.5": kettle? Maybe with some trimming.

I picked up a 7587 on the cheap about a year ago. I have a lot of 18" grills. I'm going to have to look into this......

You might need to get rid of one come this summer. "Think" about it ...

I've been tempted to just plop my GBS grate on my 18's bowl, if I thought I could stop myself from bumping the whole thing off. It would still be using less charcoal than when using it on a 22.

Random idea: Bolt some right angle bars or U-bolts to underside of GBS grate ... when used on a 22 they'd be unobtrusive* ... when used atop an 18 bowl they'd prevent the grate from sliding off!

Edit: *Assuming they didn't interfere with allowing the grate to sit on the grate supports by hitting the walls.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:28:46 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Partial stainless GBS... With an added bonus.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »
Found the Summit GBS #7585  also on clearance for $39. The  massive 3/8" rods should last a lifetime of abuse from the poortex.  I'm done with cast iron and steel grates.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:38:36 AM by Jules V. »