Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Black Thumbscrew 26 is Home, Updated 5/9  (Read 3495 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Black Thumbscrew 26 is Home, Updated 5/9
« on: April 25, 2018, 04:59:52 AM »

<longrantwarning>@Pezdogs  pointed this out back on April 1: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/black-mbh-26/
It's been a challenge every step of the way as no agents lived close to the seller, the seller was always slow to respond, schedules didn't work out, etc. Finally a bbq friend was able to meet the seller, negotiate a lower price, and bring it home. Then at the suggestion of fellow FL Grillfella @chiku18 I decided to try having it shipped via Greyhound. With the discount it was a great price, about $78 compared to the $198 I paid UPS. The online booking process was easy enough although my agent did have to drive about an hour each way to get it to the nearest bus station. So he gave up his Saturday morning and dropped it off at the station with the label I'd bought and emailed to him. I went online that evening to check out where it was with the tracking info I had. Nothing shows up. OK surely by tomorrow. Nothing. I wait a 3rd day and check and there is still no record of this 28x28x28 x 56lb box. I check with my friend about the receipt he got for it and he says they didn't give him one. They just told him to "set it down over there" which he did, then left. Oh damn. I emailed their Customer Service about it and got no response. I called them the next day and after 20 minutes of being on hold and lots of questions and them calling other bus stations looking for it they told me they had no idea where it was. So I'm figuring it's sitting in some Greyhound dude's back yard by now and I'll never see it. But they assured me it would make it and just hang tight. Eight days since the drop off and still no package. I call the Lakeland (final destination) terminal to see if they had seen it - nope. I'm feeling it's gone for sure. About an hour later I get a call back from the Lakeland terminal and holy $#!t it's just arrived. I make the 40 minute drive to pick it up yesterday, tell the wonderful lady behind the counter why i'm there, she goes in the back then comes back out and says she can't release it. It's not in the system and she's not letting it go. WTF are you kidding me?! It's got my name on it and here's my ID. What else is there to know? She has to make some phone calls and finally says I can have it. Thank you. I don't think my experience was typical for Greyhound. Just make sure your package gets scanned into the system.
</longrantwarning>

This is a sweet Fleetwood thumbscrew (1963?) 26 in fantastic shape. Only one small chip on the rim and everything else is golden. No bowl or lid rust, no dents, and all the tabs are there. Wheels in great shape. Handle is tight. It did have a great fade on it but I think that got shot when my buyer sprayed Break Free CLP on the thumbscrews and it got everywhere. I'll probably have to darken the whole thing. I think this will clean up great. All it's missing is the metal hubcaps. Anyone got a line on a pair? Thanks to all who helped get it here! Here's some quick pictures I got yesterday.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:14:30 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Re: Black Thumbscrew 26 is Home
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 05:07:41 AM »
Congratulations @Rub for bringing another beauty to FL. My experience with Greyhound was great , from Sacramento to Tampa (Saturday -> Thursday) with full tracking. Yes my seller also had to drive an hour each way, but was perfect transit.

I will say its time for us ( @Plant_City_Mike / @Mr.CPHo) to meet at your hood to admire all the recent acquisitions and may be enjoy some ribs :).
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 05:15:55 AM »
Did someone say “money muscle”?! 🤤

Congrats, Rub.  I’m pretty sure I have a pair of metal push caps for you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:17:04 AM »
That is awesome!! Nice 26er!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »
... so much stress for such a beauty of a kettle. Great patience and score

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 05:32:54 AM »
Congrats Rub.  Glad it made it safely.  Looking forward to seeing it all cleaned up.

You should be able to grab the push nuts at Lowes:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8-in-Nickel-Axle-Push-Nut/3012502
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 05:42:09 AM »
Looks like that will clean up Grate! Love my Fleetwood too! That sounds like quite an ordeal with the shipping.
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 06:09:05 AM »
@Rub!  I'm glad it finally found it's way to you! That was a frustrating seller to deal with, and then pile on the shipping debacle... oi.  Let's see some pics of it in action!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »
NICE!
regards,
Hal

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 05:56:29 AM »
That's a sweet grill.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:40 AM »

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to cleaning this ole beauty up.
Congratulations @Rub for bringing another beauty to FL. My experience with Greyhound was great , from Sacramento to Tampa (Saturday -> Thursday) with full tracking. Yes my seller also had to drive an hour each way, but was perfect transit.

I will say its time for us ( @Plant_City_Mike / @Mr.CPHo) to meet at your hood to admire all the recent acquisitions and may be enjoy some ribs :) .
That sounds like a good idea. We will have to look for a time we can get together. And $$ muscle for @Mr.CPHo
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:37:02 AM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 06:45:22 AM »
Awesome 26er!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 04:30:54 AM »
I guess you get what you pay for......anyhow awesome score, glad it showed up
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Black Thumbscrew 26 is Home, Updated 5/9
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 06:15:32 PM »
UPDATE

I finally got a chance to do a little cleanup on her. It will be a cooker so I didn't go crazy on it. Polished the top vent, legs, and triangle. Got rid of most of the rust on the wheels. Was able to get rid of a lot of the Break Free marks on the bowl and lid. Sanded and oiled the walnut handle. The ash pan has been a challenge. It has some sort of clear coating on it that's keeping me from being able to polish the aluminum. I may just leave it. I'm really looking forward to making this 26" the workhorse of the stable!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Black Thumbscrew 26 is Home, Updated 5/9
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
Looks great Rub[emoji106]
ISO Brown Go Anywhere