Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood chunk placement  (Read 991 times)

au4stree

• WKC Brave
Wood chunk placement
« on: April 24, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »
In my wonderings on the internet, I came across Harry Soo’s YouTube channel. I think what I’m about to describe was him.

When setting up your cooker for smoking/cooking, how many of you put your wood chunks under the unlit coals?  Harry sets up his WSM’s minion and buries unlit chunks under the coals and dumps lit coals like you would normally do minion.

What are y’all thinking on this?  I’ve always placed my wood chunks on top, whether it’s my old offset, my Summit or my kettle. 

Certainly on my next cook I’ll be trying this but was hoping for some discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Wood chunk placement
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
I have buried and placed on top.  I see no clear differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
I’ve done it as well. I believe the thought is having smoke at different intervals of the cook instead of all at the beginning. Never really noticed much of a difference either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
Only advantage I can see is that when they be under the coals there's less chance of them catching fire...Steady temps is always a good thing....

I actually do a mix...Chunks burried and a chunk on top to get the party started...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
In my experience, the meat gets all the smoke flavor the first hour or two so I usually throw a couple chunks on top about 5 minutes before I put the food on.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »

Only advantage I can see is that when they be under the coals there's less chance of them catching fire...Steady temps is always a good thing....

I actually do a mix...Chunks burried and a chunk on top to get the party started...
This

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:22:25 PM »
I've tried both ways...I think I have more consistent temps when I bury....rather than the occasional temp spike when I put the chunk on top....either way, you will be fine.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
Wood chunk placement
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 05:59:00 AM »

Gotta try burying the chunks. When using the Flame Boss had problems with chunks (on top) catching fire and putting out bad smoke at the beginning of the cook after loading the WSM up with cold meat causing the pit temp to drop. The fan would blow extra hard to get it back up to temp causing the bad smoke.  Hopefully burying the chunks will stop this.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:19:40 AM »
Never tried burying the chunks... hmmmm...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.