Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow 18 Bar-B-Q Kettle  (Read 7832 times)

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
Re: Yellow 18 Bar-B-Q Kettle
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 05:10:32 AM »
That makes sense.  However,  from Craig's Age Guide details:

"If the lid vent says WEBER in engraved font with an elongated b in weber, still small vent turn tab on lid, but now with wider dual turn tabs on the bowl vents and more familiar WEBER whitewall all plastic wheels it could be from or 1976-1977."

I have two 18" with the elongated b Weber.   However,  this yellow has the BAR-B-Q Kettle letter.  I think this is model made during the transition.   

I guess it is a 75 or 76.   ???
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

bosbeest

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
Congratulations! I'm a bit jealous!   :-X
Proud owner of 4 kettles from 1980 up to 2011

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
That makes sense.  However,  from Craig's Age Guide details:

"If the lid vent says WEBER in engraved font with an elongated b in weber, still small vent turn tab on lid, but now with wider dual turn tabs on the bowl vents and more familiar WEBER whitewall all plastic wheels it could be from or 1976-1977."

I have two 18" with the elongated b Weber.   However,  this yellow has the BAR-B-Q Kettle letter.  I think this is model made during the transition.   

I guess it is a 75 or 76.   ???

Just checked the Black one, I has the small tabs on the bottom.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 04:24:11 PM »
Heres a pic of a new yellow 18.5 with the same markings, wheels and vent tabs as yours. I'd say its a safe bet that your score is a 1975-early '76 kettle. I've seen pics of kettles that are known to be from 1974 with the older plastic wheels and the smaller turn tabs. Also, a guy on Brethren a few years back scored a NIB red 18.5 with a receipt dated August, 1975 and it had the small tabs and older style wheels....his could have been a NOS '74 model, but that is unkown. We've come a long way just since WKC launched, a few years ago, it was hard to determine any kettle pre 1979 age wise.  I'm always learning something new.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 04:28:56 PM by Craig »

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
Heres a pic of a new yellow 18.5 with the same markings, wheels and vent tabs as yours. I'd say its a safe bet that your score is a 1975-early '76 kettle. I've seen pics of kettles that are known to be from 1974 with the older plastic wheels and the smaller turn tabs. Also, a guy on Brethren a few years back scored a NIB red 18.5 with a receipt dated August, 1975 and it had the small tabs and older style wheels....his could have been a NOS '74 model, but that is unkown. We've come a long way just since WKC launched, a few years ago, it was hard to determine any kettle pre 1979 age wise.  I'm always learning something new.

See, I knew you had some answers. Craig here is some more information for you to archive. My Red has large damps as above, but all the bowl vent holes are "Tear Drop Shaped". The black I have has two round and only one Teardrop hole, it has small tab vents. Wheels on both have small white walls.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Yellow 18 Bar-B-Q Kettle
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »

See, I knew you had some answers. Craig here is some more information for you to archive. My Red has large damps as above, but all the bowl vent holes are "Tear Drop Shaped". The black I have has two round and only one Teardrop hole, it has small tab vents. Wheels on both have small white walls.

Let's see some pics.... :)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »
Craig I will. What Would you like pics of?
Vents?
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Craig

• WKC Mod
Yellow 18 Bar-B-Q Kettle
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
Vents?

I want to see everything....... Said the creepy kettlephile standing alone in the corner....... perving, staring at a redhead and a pair of limes.

Ok seriously, it'd be cool to see what you described... :))
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:33:52 PM by Craig »

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 07:48:23 PM »
I checked the 18s....heres the results.
BBQ Kettle Pat Pending = 1 oddly shaped teardrop vent hole.  Small tab vent damper with only one stopper (small tab that fits in the vent hole to stop vent from spinning).
BBQ kettle with Patent # = same as patent pending model
A and B vent codes = 3 more evenly shaped teardrop vent holes with wide tab vent damper and three stoppers (one for each vent)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Yellow 18 Bar-B-Q Kettle
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
I checked the 18s....heres the results.
BBQ Kettle Pat Pending = 1 oddly shaped teardrop vent hole.  Small tab vent damper with only one stopper (small tab that fits in the vent hole to stop vent from spinning).
BBQ kettle with Patent # = same as patent pending model
A and B vent codes = 3 more evenly shaped teardrop vent holes with wide tab vent damper and three stoppers (one for each vent)

G you have all the 18's. Exactly what I'm trying to describe. Both mine have the thin whitewall tires, BBQ kettle same PAT#, but the different vents as you have described.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 08:03:21 PM »
Come to think of it, I think my pre 1968 red 18 has one teardrop, but I'll have to check it out in the morning..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
I want to see everything....... Said the creepy kettlephile standing alone in the corner....... perving, staring at a redhead and a pair of limes.
Okay, now that's a classic! You even coined a new term for the glossary. K= Kettlephile ;D

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »
Okay, now that's a classic! You even coined a new term for the glossary. K= Kettlephile ;D

Here's some late night tomfoolery with a Redhead, Blond and an old Grey Kettle.

BTW, I have a picture of the the yellow kettles teardrop shaped holes.  That seemed to be going a bit to far.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:25:36 PM by javahog2002 »
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:57 AM »
Vents?

Ok seriously, it'd be cool to see what you described... :))

For the Creepy Kettlephile.
Both are BBQ Kettles with matching Pat#.

Black vent holes, one odd shaped tear drop, vents are small tab.

Red vent holes, three tear drop holes, vents large tab.

Side by Side.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 04:54:24 AM »

For the Creepy Kettlephile.
Red vent holes, three tear drop holes, vents large tab.

Dude...that's.....that's...like HALLOWEEN....quit it ...you're fuckin' scarin' me..... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"