Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Asbestos in Royal Oak Lump?  (Read 1930 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
Asbestos in Royal Oak Lump?
« on: March 03, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
After a recent cook I found a couple rocks and a piece of fabric in the ash. I know of only one fabric that will survive the heat of a hot fire and that's asbestos. I'm not very happy about that. I can't find contact information on Royal Oak web site and the page for reporting hazardous products to the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) is "Under Maintenance" >:(

This sucks. Asbestos is carcinogenic if inhaled or ingested.

This photo link may (or may not) work

You should be able to click through to this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KXOkV2Cm2Cl7fw3f2
kettles, smokers...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Asbestos in Royal Oak Lump?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 11:21:03 PM »
That's concerning, Hank. Here's a phone number you can try https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=11113193
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:41:26 AM »
If you are unable to get a phone response, I would suggest posting the same info on their social media platforms and I can almost guarantee that it would spark a response.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Asbestos in Royal Oak Lump?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:09:38 AM »
I think it’s a piece of fiberglass. It doesn’t burn either I don’t think.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 04:15:39 AM by HoosierKettle »

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:08:26 AM »
That's a possibility I hadn't thought of. I wonder how I could tell the difference w/out paying for a lab analysis.

Edit: Glass will start to soften at 560°C (1100°F) I wonder if the fire gets that hot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:16:04 AM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:10:35 AM »
I agree with @HoosierKettle looks like fibre glass probably from the wall of the container they make their lump in , I would say you got a bottom of the pit bag full of all the shit in the kiln . Probably time to change brands coz it’s not cool ether way

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 06:18:38 AM »

That's a possibility I hadn't thought of. I wonder how I could tell the difference w/out paying for a lab analysis.

Edit: Glass will start to soften at 560°C (1100°F) I wonder if the fire gets that hot.

It’s used as an insulator

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 06:54:47 AM »
There are fiberglass fabrics rated for 1000F, and other non-asbestos insulation fabrics that can be used up to 1000C. Still, not what you want to find in your bag of charcoal.

Vette10R

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 07:10:07 AM »
I've found rocks in every bag of RO Lump and was a little curious about it. I didn't think rocks would hurt anything so I didn't think much of it. Should I be concerned about the rocks? I've never found fabric...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 07:33:29 PM »
I don't worry about the rocks.
kettles, smokers...

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 08:03:11 AM »
Oh man, I hope this isnt the case!! I use GFS Lump (RO rebranded) and it is by FAR my favorite fuel. I have only found two rocks in the many, many bags that I have gone through - and never any fabric.

I recently bought some true RO Lump from Home Depot and I noticed the pieces are smaller than the bags from GFS. Looks like I will stick with GFS lump until I find some fabric.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »
I've found rocks and what looked like fiberglass insulation in bags of lump (Royal Oak and BGE).  That and the undercooked pieces that smoke like crazy turned me to using Stubbs fuel.  If I go for lump again I might try the center cut lump below.  I remember reading a lot of good reviews about it on the forums here.

https://www.charbroil.com/centercut-lump-charcoal
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
I like the Char broil lump. But I got it for $2 a box at Lowe's on clearance in the fall. Regular price was $22 I think. I'm never going to buy it at full price.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere