Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Caveman style  (Read 1393 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Caveman style
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
Did a caveman style steak on my 18” with some Lump Monday. Ill never cook a steak any other way again. Seasoned with some Santa Maria BBQ salt. I topped it off with some HP sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Caveman style
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
We’re talkin’ no cooking grate? Looks delicious.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:34:07 PM »
Yeah, is caveman style directly on the coals? Or just a giant steak?Looks tasty though!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:03:57 PM »
Directly on the coals... works with lump or coals, I’ve done it right on the coals a couple times.. turns out pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
Not sure I'd be able to "get over" the ash on the food. I realize you can/do brush most of it off. The other day I saw a recipe that had cheese melted atop something, and the cheese was to be melted by placing a charcoal briquette on it.

Gray cheese, really? Who gives a shit how cheese gets melted, so long as it's melted?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 04:33:58 AM »
I think "Caveman style" works best with lump. Alton Brown made fajitas that way years back when he had the show "Good eats". I've made them a few times his way. Turns out great. Occasionally a peice of lump will stick to the meat, just pick it off with your tongs.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:42:22 AM »
That looks grate! I'm seeing this method more and more, butt have not had the balls to try it yet. I'll give it a shot!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
Started doing steaks this way a few years ago. Have done many more the same way since. Mostly Rib Eyes. Tasting is believing. Here's some inspiration from a thread a few years ago.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/meetups-events/2015-wkc-summer-ecook-day-five-july-5th-2015/msg174461/#msg174461

If Julia cooked steaks like this on a SS Performer, we all can. Trust me, the meat is ash free when done. A few don'ts:

Don't use the lid
Don't reverse sear - this is a one flip and done deal
Don't use briquettes - lump only!
Don't slap the meat on the coals too early - let it get white hot, and use plenty of lump - I use one full chimney for two steaks
Don't oil the meat - S&P only
Don't use a thin piece of meat - it has to be 1 1/2" or more. 1 3/4" is the sweet spot IMHO
Don't go more than 4 mins per side

Earn the badge like @Vwbuggin64 just did!

Retired

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/meetups-events/2015-wkc-summer-ecook-day-five-july-5th-2015/msg174461/#msg174461

Oh awright ima try it, and perhaps sooner rather than later.

FYI, PBS now has that video content behind a paywall ... I'd seen the video years ago but wanted the sauce recipe, which is nevertheless online in a few places. Below is the original:

Hot Fanny Sauce:

1 cup sugar

2 pounds onions, minced (7 to 8 cups)

1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced

4 cups chicken stock

1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1/8 cup medium-dry sherry

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1 green bell pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded (see note)

Melt the sugar in a deep skillet; it will take 6 to 8 minutes and the sugar will clump up before it totally melts and caramelizes. Stir occasionally while sugar is melting.

Once sugar is melted and a deep brown color, add the onions and the jalapeno. At this point, the caramel will seize up and you’ll think you failed. Never mind; the water in the onions will melt the sugar clumps back down. Let cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and brown, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add the stock and the salt and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Continue to boil on moderately high heat for abou 30 minutes until sauce is reduced by half, to about 4 cups. Stir in the sherry, cook another minute, and remove from heat.

Transfer the sauce, in batches, to the blender and, holding the top down firmly to prevent accidental burns and splatters, turn the machine on to moderately slow. With machine running, add vinegar and green pepper through the hole in top. Close top and puree at high speed for a moment. Pour back into the saucepan and reheat when needed.

Covered and refrigerated when cool, the sauce will keep for several days or can be frozen for several weeks.

Nutrition information per tablespoon of sauce: 22 calories, 0.13 grams fat (5 percent fat calories), 5 grams carbohydrate, trace protein, trace cholesterol, 48 milligrams sodium.

Note: To roast pepper, place on top of grill or under a broiler. Cook on all sides until skin is black and blistered. Place in paper bag, close top and let sit for 15 minutes. Remove pepper from bag and peel off the charred skin. Halve pepper and remove seeds.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 09:12:05 AM »
BTW - that Fanny Sauce recipe makes way too much for even 8 big steaks, but it does freeze. (I have half a quart left in my freezer as we speak) Not critical to make it at all though, the steak alone is worth the price of admission.
Retired

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
Thanks again. Yeah I'd have to knock it way down. My first attempt might be for only 1 or 2 steaks, 4 at the most.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Caveman style
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 08:47:26 PM »
Started doing steaks this way a few years ago. Have done many more the same way since. Mostly Rib Eyes. Tasting is believing. Here's some inspiration from a thread a few years ago.

If Julia cooked steaks like this on a SS Performer, we all can. Trust me, the meat is ash free when done. A few don'ts:

Don't use the lid
Don't reverse sear - this is a one flip and done deal
Don't use briquettes - lump only!
Don't slap the meat on the coals too early - let it get white hot, and use plenty of lump - I use one full chimney for two steaks
Don't oil the meat - S&P only
Don't use a thin piece of meat - it has to be 1 1/2" or more. 1 3/4" is the sweet spot IMHO
Don't go more than 4 mins per side

Earn the badge like @Vwbuggin64 just did!

woo hoo! My first Weber badge!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ