Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mini WSM appreciation thread  (Read 1764 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Mini WSM appreciation thread
« on: March 31, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
I searched and didn’t see that a dedicated thread existed. Let me know if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Re: Mini WSM appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 08:03:13 PM »
Had one, but sold it after my daughter decided to go to Iowa State instead of University of Iowa. Oh well. Plan on making another one soon though.  Just trying to decide what to put on it.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:02:41 PM »
My first charcoal weber was a mini I made in 2012. I have moved up to bigger cookers, but you never forget your first.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 05:16:48 AM »
I need to paint mine. Just not sure what I’m going to do yet. Those are great looking paint jobs.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
I also had one but gave it to a "new to BBQ" friend.  It was a fun cooker but I've since picked up a Weber 14.5" WSM. 

To be honest, I liked the way the mini ran over the Weber model.  I had a ball valve and threaded pugs for intake control.  Ran like a champ.

I ran across an unused table pot this weekend in the attic, Maybe I'll do up another? 

Question for the guys that have done logos on yours, when do you pull the sticker off?  Did you let the paint cure first?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
I also had one but gave it to a "new to BBQ" friend.  It was a fun cooker but I've since picked up a Weber 14.5" WSM. 

To be honest, I liked the way the mini ran over the Weber model.  I had a ball valve and threaded pugs for intake control.  Ran like a champ.

I ran across an unused table pot this weekend in the attic, Maybe I'll do up another? 

Question for the guys that have done logos on yours, when do you pull the sticker off?  Did you let the paint cure first?

How do you attach ball valves and how many?  Is it a pipe nipple and electrical connector nut on the inside?  I thought about drilling side vents and using pipe nipples with threaded caps instead of valves. My thought being that I would never need less than one opening completely open.

Another option that looks cheap is just buying replacement wsm vents and installing those on the bowl and leaving the center bottom vent closed. What are you thoughts?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 04:42:45 PM »

I need to paint mine. Just not sure what I’m going to do yet. Those are great looking paint jobs.

It’s not as hard as it looks. Mine was a decal from the car wash that I used as a stencil and removed after painting.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »

How do you attach ball valves and how many?  Is it a pipe nipple and electrical connector nut on the inside?  I thought about drilling side vents and using pipe nipples with threaded caps instead of valves. My thought being that I would never need less than one opening completely open.

Another option that looks cheap is just buying replacement wsm vents and installing those on the bowl and leaving the center bottom vent closed. What are you thoughts?

I used a SJ Gold.  It already has the holes on either side.  3/4 (or 1/2"?  It's been awhile) fittings thread right(ish) in.  It's got a slight amount of play but the conduit nuts hold everything secure.  I just opened the ball valve and pulled a plug on the opposite side when lighting.  I made a small basket to sit on the grate so the air could circulate.

I toyed with adding replacement WMS vents but I have been a drum head for too long to bother with that.  I wanted it to run like a drum and it pretty much did.

I'd love to see someone's setup if they've done this mod.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:57:18 PM by Bubblehead »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »
First Pork butt and long cook on the mini underway. It’s infinitely more convenient than my 18 and allows me to escape my bbq dungeon to a more spring like area of the yard.

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:16:51 AM by HoosierKettle »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
Here's mine, complete with Patriots SJ!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 09:26:25 AM »