Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY Texas Rib Candy and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub  (Read 5719 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: DIY Texas Rib Candy and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 05:54:12 AM »
Is this a rub you're still experimenting with, or mostly "done" with? After I work my way through a few store-bought bottles I'd like to try making my own, one or two that would work well on basically anything that's not beef. Got quantities of ingredients you can share?

And yeah the ribs and salmon look awesome.

(Not afraid of a little MSG. Salt ... sugar ... we can't talk about it much around here but that shit kills more people each day than MSG ever will. #priorities)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 07:54:48 AM »
Is this a rub you're still experimenting with, or mostly "done" with? After I work my way through a few store-bought bottles I'd like to try making my own, one or two that would work well on basically anything that's not beef. Got quantities of ingredients you can share?

And yeah the ribs and salmon look awesome.

(Not afraid of a little MSG. Salt ... sugar ... we can't talk about it much around here but that shit kills more people each day than MSG ever will. #priorities)

The family says to keep making the ribs exactly like this but I keep playing with the recipe a little and I will probably make it up a little differently each time to test out adding additional ingredients.

The rub is pretty basic if you ask me and is mostly made up of spices that I put in most if not all of my rubs anyway – Paprika, sugar, salt chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. The only thing different about Malcom’s rub for me is the inclusion of orange peel and MSG. I also tend to add more spices to my rubs. This one is pretty basic. I will probably be experimenting more with things like ginger, cumin, thyme. Killer Hoggs also has some dill in it but I don’t use dill.

FWIW, I am getting pretty consistent / repeatable results. Hope your ribs come out just like my pictures. :)

Basic Rub Recipe (attempted copy of Killer Hoggs - The BBQ Rub):
½ Cup Paprika (regular McCormick brand seems to have a nice red color to it compared to others)
½ Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup Kosher Salt (I prefer Diamond brand here due to less sodium for the same serving size)
¼ Cup Turbinado Sugar
1 TBSP Chili Powder
4 TSP Garlic Powder
2 TSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP Dried/granulated Orange Peel (McCormick Gourmet brand)
1 TBSP Accent (MSG)

Makes about 2 cups of rub.

-Mix ingredients together thoroughly in a bowl and transfer some to a spice shaker and the rest to a mason jar to save.
-Be sure to break up all of the brown sugar lumps.
-Personally, I just apply this rub to the ribs without a binder of any kind and let the natural juices absorb the rub.

Spritzer Recipe (This is just 50% clear juice and 50% vinegar that I spray anyway):
1 Cup Clear Apple Juice
½ Cup Tart Cherry Juice
1-½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

Makes 3 cups of spray.

-Mix up ingredients and pour into a clean spray bottle. Keep left over in refrigerator for next time or use it for the candy sauce.
-Spray once about every 90 minutes or so.
-Skip the last spray because you will perform two to three applications of the candy finishing sauce instead.

Basic Candy Sauce Recipe (attempted copy of Texas Rib Candy):
The candy sauce is really the same as the spritzer with a LOT of sugar and either pectin or arrowroot added.
1 Cup Clear Apple Juice
½ Cup Tart Cherry Juice
1-½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
4 Cups granulated white cane sugar
1 Package of liquid pectin (Certo) - arrowroot can be substituted here and probably powdered pectin (Sure Gel) as well.

Makes 4 cups of candy sauce

-Mix juice & vinegar together, keeping the mixture at room temperature or below.
-Add the sugar in to the mixture. Stir it, or shake the bottle/jar to get the sugar fully dissolved.
-Once the sugar is fully dissolved, you will have a nice clear reddish syrup with no visible sugar granules.
-Add in the pectin and keep it stirred/shaken until ready to use. Put the left over in a bottle and store in refrigerator.
-Apply the candy sauce during the last ~45 minutes of the cook. Do it with two to three application using a silicone brush or mop. Apply sparingly but get a good coverage of the top surface of the ribs. Try not to let any drip off because it makes the grates pretty sticky.
-Let the Candy sauce set for ~15 minutes between applications and before pulling the ribs off of the grill.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:06:08 AM by GoAnywhereJeep »
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 08:44:14 AM »
Thank you!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
Thank you!

The liquid Jolly Rancher sauce keeps well in the fridge. It looks so yummy that one could be tempted to just drink it out of the bottle.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:08:40 AM by GoAnywhereJeep »
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI