Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DIY Texas Rib Candy and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub  (Read 5700 times)

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: DIY Texas Rib Candy and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 07:59:42 AM »

MSG is the KCBS contest secret finishing dust!

Once in a while is fine and in contest its an unspoken given to shake some MSG on top of your turn in box.

Grabbed some MSG at the store this morning.....

[/quote]
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »
I never realized Accent was simply MSG! Granted, I haven’t seen it put on anything in years, but my grandma swore by it when I was a kid. Mind blown!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
I never realized Accent was simply MSG! Granted, I haven’t seen it put on anything in years, but my grandma swore by it when I was a kid. Mind blown!

Available in 10 lb buckets!
https://www.amazon.com/Accent-Flavor-Enhancer-lb-case/dp/B00B042FX0

I'm going to try use Accent in lieu of salt in my next batch of this rub.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 06:13:34 AM »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
I have generally avoided MSG since a kid and I  have never cooked with it before but it is in a lot of things that we end up consuming anyway even if you are selective about what you eat.

Anyway, the dehydrated orange peel is part of what makes Malcom's rub taste great. At least IMHO. I have not tried the actual version with MSG in it but suspect that it would have more of that umami taste that is associates with MSG. The dehydrated orange peel has found a permanent home on my spice rack and I will be using it in a lot of future rubs. The MSG (Accent) is just on my shelf for some experimenting since I have not used it before. I plan to use it sparingly to displace some of the salt content. If you look at the ingredients on The BBQ Rub, MSG is one of the last ingredients listed (IIRC, ingredients are supposed to be listed in the order of their quantities). Salt, sugar, garlic and the orange peal are listed ahead of the MSG.

Another thing I read and I don't know if it is true or not is that orange (citrus?) can offset the effects that some feel when consuming MSG.

Though I am definitely in the camp of folks who avoid it when possible, I also am not convinced that it is as bad as some make it out to be.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
Ribs & salmon look great!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
We stopped using it years ago. Might wanna read up on it...

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

Just sayin'...  8)
Given some research, Mercola  seems like a quack. There are plenty of sites from reputable scientific studies that cannot co-relate any issues to MSG.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
Ribs & salmon look great!

Thanks. Just wait until I add some 100% pure MSG to that rub!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 06:43:08 AM »
We stopped using it years ago. Might wanna read up on it...

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/21/msg-is-this-silent-killer-lurking-in-your-kitchen-cabinets.aspx

Just sayin'...  8)
Given some research, Mercola  seems like a quack. There are plenty of sites from reputable scientific studies that cannot co-relate any issues to MSG.

Could be. I just posted it for reference. We stopped using MSG years ago, due to all the bad press and ill effects it can inflict. Just sayin' 8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »
So it looks like my DIY and maybe the Killer Hoggs The BBQ Rub are both a copy of Kinders..?? Has anyone tried both the Kinders and the Killer Hoggs? Comments?

The Killer Hoggs explicitly says "MSG" but the Kinders uses a pseudonym: "extracts of yeast."

source:
https://lifespa.com/sneaky-names-for-msg-check-your-labels/

I just discovered this by chance. I was not looking for a duplicate for either my DIY or the Killer Hoggs but was in the store looking for a ready-made BBQ rub to make some chicken for the kids because no time to make up my own rub today.

It is pretty close to the same ingredients list between these two brand names. No dill in the Kinders or the DIY.

Now I want to do a taste test between the two and compare them to my attempted DIY copy.

Edit:
Ingredients list on the Killer Hoggs....

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:28:20 AM by GoAnywhereJeep »

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 04:35:26 PM »
I made up a new batch of rub and candy sauce and probably have used these DIY recipes now for about half dozen cooks now.

I tried a pork butt with the rub and candy sauce and it came out decently. I did not wrap the butt at 160 this time. I just let it run all the way past 195 unwrapped. The mistake was leaving the wrap off.

Chicken came out okay too but not perfect. I was out of the DIY rub and used some Stubb's Chicken (a very different flavor profile). The candy sauce at the end added good texture and flavor but the combo of this particular candy sauce and the rub was not the best choice.

Anyway, today's ribs (using pectin and MSG)....

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 07:09:39 PM »

I made up a new batch of rub and candy sauce and probably have used these DIY recipes now for about half dozen cooks now.

I tried a pork butt with the rub and candy sauce and it came out decently. I did not wrap the butt at 160 this time. I just let it run all the way past 195 unwrapped. The mistake was leaving the wrap off.

Chicken came out okay too but not perfect. I was out of the DIY rub and used some Stubb's Chicken (a very different flavor profile). The candy sauce at the end added good texture and flavor but the combo of this particular candy sauce and the rub was not the best choice.

Anyway, today's ribs (using pectin and MSG)....
Looking Good! Love that color and shine. Dam I can smell them!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
So it looks like my DIY and maybe the Killer Hoggs The BBQ Rub are both a copy of Kinders..?? Has anyone tried both the Kinders and the Killer Hoggs? Comments?

I haven't had that particular Kinder's rub in a while...but I don't think they are quite the same. Similar? Maybe. But a lot of rubs are really similar or follow a similar blue print.  I still have some Killer Hogs and can perhaps grab that Kinders at the store to compare them.

The Killer Hogs is definitely on the sweeter side.

Missippijim

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
I can tell you, Malcom's rub is no copy. I remember him and Waylon making it long before they started bottling it. Ingredients change when it is commercially bottled for shelf life and such.  And it's Killer Hogs with only 1 g in Hogs. His rub does gives pork that magic mahogany color.  And it definitely is on the sweeter side.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
@Mike in Roseville, @Missippijim

I ended up trying the Kinder's a couple of times. The natural smoke flavor is the difference. Kinder's is not the same as Killer Hoggs and I personally do not like the smoke flavor to come from the seasoning and do not really like the Kinder's as a result. That bottle will probably remain unused in the spice rack until it is time to throw it away.