Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: TP20  (Read 1087 times)

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
TP20
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:28:43 AM »
Bough Thermopro TP20 today, was planning not to be so high tech and get Thermoworks thermopop--but it was only another 20 bucks for tp20 so why not.  But once again I will not drill a hole in my weber kettle master touch...going to lay them under the lid? people saying this is best way, should not destroy the probes? any suggestion would be helpful, did a rack for 4 hours ribs yesterday--grate level thermometer never went over 240....was great..did half with sauce half with just dry rub...like the sauce more.

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
Re: TP20
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:52:11 AM »
Really enjoyed it...but maybe next tiime i will shoot for 260 for 3 hours...maybe this will bring less tough

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
Looks good. Probes are assumed to get squeezed between bowl and lid, so don’t worry. So long as you aren’t intentionally pinching them too hard you should be Ok.

Tenderness would generally be lower and slower, not hotter and faster. But the biggest variable here is likely time. Consider wrapping them in foil the last hour?

You’ll find plenty of example cook discussion about ribs by searching within this sub forum.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
In case you did not already see the discount codes I posted from another forum.

US Store: http://amzn.to/2B30ZqN
US Coupon Code: IF5RBOKA
Canada Store: http://amzn.to/2zUSMXN
Canada Coupon Code: OSPI6YA6

YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »
yep i did find your codes..coming tomorrow i think ....cant wait..
thanks

elninohese

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:06:30 AM »
Well got it...tested it with cold ice cubes..both are off by 2 degrees not bad...boiling water both same of by 1 or 2 degrees...impressed.  Turkey coming next few weeks, big test then.  Question how big of a difference is the vortex to do chicken wings..compared to weber char baskets both in middle of kettle?  how high can you get your kettle with both vents open, lump coal?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 05:22:00 AM »
A Vortex will create and sustain higher heat than 2 Weber char baskets together. You get solid sides, angled, that channel the heat up. "Big difference," is what I think any Vortex owner will say (and I don't own one.) I'm not clear on what a Vortex has to do with cooking a turkey, however.

Lump is always a variable. The charcoal itself should burn hotter, but because you can't necessarily contain it as tightly as you can briquets, may not create more kettle heat.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch