Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smaller charcoal grate for Jumbo Joe?  (Read 2483 times)

rsaylor3

• Happy Cooker
Smaller charcoal grate for Jumbo Joe?
« on: September 16, 2019, 12:51:46 PM »
So on my 26" kettle, in the past I would use a charcoal grate from a 22" to get the coals further away from the cooking grate. I use the Jumbo Joe when we camp and when cooking burgers I find that I would love a little more distance from the coals to the cooking grate.

Has anyone used a charcoal grate form a Smokey Joe for their Jumbo Joe?

I find they when doing burgers, I get a lot of flare ups and think some distance would be a huge benefit for these cooks.

On a side note, I just ordered the Slow N Sear for the Jumbo Joe! Can't wait as I cook on my 26 with the SNS XL all the time and wouldn't have it any other way!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smaller charcoal grate for Jumbo Joe?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
I am not sure how much extra distance it will get you but you could grab a charcoal grate from a regular Smokey Joe. If a local store has some display models and the SJ grate you could take a look and see how you like it.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
   In a jumbo joe, top of grate to top of grate is 3 3/4" . With a smokey joe charcoal grate top to top is 5" you gain 1 1/4". Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 07:30:47 PM »
   In a jumbo joe, top of grate to top of grate is 3 3/4" . With a smokey joe charcoal grate top to top is 5" you gain 1 1/4". Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Or you could just wait for another Weber addict to grab his grills and a tape measure.  ;) Thanks @Filibuster.  I really don't know of any other way to get more distance with a charcoal grate short of going without one.  I certainly wouldn't want to do that to anything that looked pretty. 
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 11:05:28 PM »
Purchase a standard second cooking grate and turn it over and place it on top of the standard cooking  grate in your kettle.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 04:14:37 AM »
This could also be an option if you want to create some distance but don't necessary need to close the lid.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-grill-modifications-customs/faux-santa-maria-grillin/

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 06:20:33 AM »
I use a Smokey Joe grate and 4 SS bolts and washers to make a raised cooking area on my JJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
@vwengguy Do you have a little bit of clearance to close the lid and still do something like chicken breast?

That is a pretty clever set up for a Jumbo Joe. 

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:13 PM »
Sure you can! Depends on how long the bolts are also. My bolts are 3” total length including the acorn nut on the end. I used this length so I could grill chicken thigh quarters under and veggies or even burgers up top.
Corn on the cob will not fit upstairs but grilled zucchini or sweet point peppers are super easy.
Acorn nuts for feet work great as they don’t go though the lower grate and look better!
Try to use SS hardware if you can.. you don’t want any plating to burn off and toxify your cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club