Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CL Happy Cooker - worth it?  (Read 3536 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
CL Happy Cooker - worth it?
« on: May 17, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3809391063.html

$40 for a used-once Happy Cooker.  I don't need/want it, but I DO want that internal ash pan.  $40 and a 45 minute drive worth it?  I figure I could  sell it for $25 or $30 and make some of my $$ back.  Thoughts?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: CL Happy Cooker - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
I'd say go for it. It may be a long time before another Happy cooker pops up and this one is in good shape! At worst you would be out an hour or 2 and 10-20 bucks (if you decide to resell the rest of it to recoup costs). If you decided to make your own ash  catcher it might be more time, money, and hassle and not as nice. Good luck with whatever you decide!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
That's pretty clean! I say go for it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
I'd give him $15 then maybe....I guess you need to ask yourself why?  It's an old grill sold at Sears...nothing more.  It black...It's clean.  maybe you could start collecting happy cookers of find someone who does.  To me it would just take space in the yard....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »
I already knew the why... wanted the internal ash-pan for my WSM-BBK mutt.  I went and picked it up yesterday. Offered him $10 for just the ash-pan; he didn't want to split up the set, so I got it all for $20 (plus an un-opened bag of KBB).  I'm going to keep the heavy grill grate, as well.  Putting it on CL later today for $20, and it should only be taking up space in my backyard for another week or so.  I'll try and keep the posts to Weber related talk from here on out... :)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 07:02:14 AM »
See it worked out for you,  you paid half and you got the good stuff....I'm just giving you a hard time, I know plenty of guys like these, if you dig them then go for it....I can only speak for myself,  I have so much stuff in the yard I have to be selective.  If you got into these grills it would be interesting to have a bunch...

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:13:49 AM »
I've picked up a couple.. Nothing fancy about them.. Want a nice red one. I think that would be cool to have around.. My yard is already too full as well. But there's always room for another!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 07:14:59 AM »
There was a maroon one around here last year, and I never got around to picking it up....

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »
They definitely are NOT Weber quality, but I was pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the grill grate is.  Unfortunately, I've got a tiny backyard, so my redhead SS Performer and WSM-BBK mutt (and WSJ/mini and GA) are the only toys I have right now.  Although I'm probably going to have to find more space (and get in more trouble w/ the wife) if I pick up this one....  http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hsh/3757434851.html

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »
That would make a nice one. Even has the original ash catcher. That alone is nice to have.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
They definitely are NOT Weber quality, but I was pleasantly surprised at how sturdy the grill grate is.  Unfortunately, I've got a tiny backyard, so my redhead SS Performer and WSM-BBK mutt (and WSJ/mini and GA) are the only toys I have right now.  Although I'm probably going to have to find more space (and get in more trouble w/ the wife) if I pick up this one....  http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hsh/3757434851.html

Hey Bob, can we see pics of your BBK WSM? AJ 8)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
A.J., just "introduced" myself to the forum... pix are here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/bob-bq-from-st-lou-q!/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:22:09 PM by Bob BQ »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 08:21:44 PM »
Just posted over there, very nice.  8)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 07:01:37 AM »
Just sold the Happy Cooker grill (minus the internal ash tray) for $20.  So the ash tray cost me nothing but a little gas money!  Used the internal ash tray in my WSM Mutt yesterday, and it definitely helped keep the temps at a slow & steady 250*.  Couldn't be happier w/ how everything has turned out...