Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: DaWeber Lowboy project  (Read 2868 times)

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
DaWeber Lowboy project
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:05:53 AM »
I've been wanting to make a set of short legs for my code M 22-inch. Yesterday I made my first step.

Earlier, I had bought a 1-inch rubber crutch tip for the front leg, which had nothing on the end. It fir nice and snug, so I thought the leg was one inch, and some 1-inch galvanized conduit should fit in the kettle sockets. (Conduit is that gray steel pipe that wires are run through.)

So I got a 10-foot section of 1-inch conduit but it was just a little too big to fit the sockets. Then I thought, get some of the couplers  used to connect sections of tube, and use those to connect to the sockets. But they were too small to fit around the kettle sockets. So all that stuff was set aside for a future clothes hanging rod project.

Back to the store for some 3/4-inch conduit. This time before I cut it I tried the fit, yup, it fits a little bit loosely. I earned a lesson: Be picky when choosing a piece. I already knew from picking lumber that many pieces are warped or curved, but I assumed that manufactured steel pipe would all be uniform and straight. Wrong. The piece I grabbed turned out to be slightly bent, with a few dings. It wouldn't be good as a whole piece, but I only needed short sections.

How short? I measured a rear leg, 16 inches from socket base to axle. I dithered about what length to go to, maybe 10 inches? I was afraid that would be too short so I settled for 11 inches.

To work: Clamp the conduit in a vise and cut it. (I couldn't swivel the vise so I put a set of locking pliers in it.) If you're not familiar with a tube cutter, it's like a C clamp with roller wheels facing a cutting wheel. Turn the tool around the tube while closing the clamp, and the cutting wheel bites progressively deeper into the steel until it gets through.

So I had three 11-inch legs and I tried them on. First I had to get past the wounded kettle's instinctive defensive posture, with stinger raised. The legs fit easily, but loose enough that they dropped out if I lifted the kettle. I'll fix that with some aluminum tape like they use on furnaces.

The new height turned out to be 21 inches. I should have made the legs a little longer to get a grill 22 inches high and 22 inches wide. Oh well, maybe later.

Next I'll give the legs some soapy steel wool pad love to polish them up. I got some gloss black spray paint for them. I'll wrap the foil tape around the tops, enough to make them fit snug so I can carry the grill without them falling out, but loose enough to easily pop the legs in and out. Then some 3/4-inch crutch tips and I should be good to go.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:09:27 AM by bluewhisper »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: DaWeber Lowboy project
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 07:25:56 AM »
Nice work. I use 1” aluminum tubing from the hardware store. It’s an exact match to the weber legs and fits perfectly. Just throwing that out there in case you didn’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:00:11 AM »
That's why I was surprised when the 1-inch conduit didn't fit the sockets. I expected it to plug right in.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 08:02:08 AM »
$6 aluminum shower curtain rod from Menards works very well also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 07:01:09 AM »
That's why I was surprised when the 1-inch conduit didn't fit the sockets. I expected it to plug right in.

It's a "press fit" with the original legs ... the insides of the leg sockets have ridges that gouge into the aluminum legs to secure them. Conduit of course would be too stiff to bend like that. That's why it didn't work as expected.

I've been using Glacier Bay 60" "builder's rods" from HD. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-60-in-Aluminum-Builders-Shower-Rod-in-Chrome-HD14016/205699635 Perfect press-fit and looks stock.

There's also this one I haven't used, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Franklin-Brass-60-in-x-1-in-Shower-Curtain-Rod-in-Chrome-336/100152509

Don't be put off by the "chrome" description. That refers to the end flange pieces you'll just toss anyway, not the rod.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 04:56:11 AM »
Funny thing is, I just started working at HD, in the Garden department ... where they sell Webers. Those bags of mulch are slippery when they're wet.

Next step, paint the legs with gloss enamel, the darkest shade of gray that I could get, short of black.

I threaded the legs on some beaded chain (like for a light pull) and used locking pliers stuck into the handle of the kettle, and the side shelf of the Masterbuilt offset smoker. Spray them and LEAVE THEM ALONE to dry overnight.

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:22:47 PM »
So here it is, mixed with a patio furniture set for comparison. It's almost exactly the same height as the fire table.

After this pic I brought it in under the roof and smoked salmon over maple before we got an inch of snow.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 05:39:36 AM »
Solid!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 01:40:10 PM »
One funny thing about it being on rubber feet is, it lands silently when I set it down. No bang, no clatter, just a soft landing.

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 06:25:45 AM »
So what is the benifit of making the grill shorter? I do not see the advantage. Please explain. Thanks.
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 10:23:00 PM »
I made this mod because I want a more portable version of this 22 kettle. This is not a permanent mod; it can still go back on its stock legs, and roll around the patio.

With the short legs, the rim is closer to knee height for someone sitting in a chair, and the legs don't protrude as far from the rim. People could sit around it, cook and talk.

I can pack those legs inside the kettle and take it to some camp out or event.

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 07:53:32 AM »
I got it. I could see the benifit on a cool night meat cooking and guest staying warm. Thanks for the update
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .