Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'm still making pizza...  (Read 2107 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
I'm still making pizza...
« on: March 17, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
I still use my homemade Kettle Pizza Clone fairly often. I make what my family and I like, so most of my pizza cooks are pretty similar, but never get old!  ;D

My daughters had some friends over this past Wednesday, and requested that I make some pizza. I got off work a bit early, so figured I’d fire up my Kettle Pizza Clone that I made. I make my dough, using either one of these flours.

I made enough dough to make 6 pizzas. Each pizza was 12”-14”, depending on how much I stretched them.

I started with a plain cheese pizza, that got quickly devoured. I always start with an easy one, just in case things go sideways. All good this time around. Next up was a BBQ Chicken Pizza. I used Blues Hog BBQ Sauce as a base, then added small chunks of chicken breast tenderloin that I had from the previous nights cook. I also used fresh mozzarella, grated mozzarella, parmesan cheese, granulated garlic and red onion.

I added some chunks of Hickory, before putting the pizza in the oven. I let them get burning good and clean, then put the pizza in. The Tel-Tru was showing an average of about 550*

I garnished with fresh chopped cilantro, fresh out of the oven.

I also did a pizza with pears and gorgonzola cheese as the main ingredients. Honey was my base and used the same cheese mix as the other pizzas, but less of it overall. This pic shows how much pear I used.

I garnished with baby arugula, right after taking the previous pic.

I only ended up making 5 pizzas, as the sixth dough ball was still in the oven, when my daughter decided to make cookies for dessert…OOPS! Five was plenty though, and actually had a few slices left over for my lunch the next day.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:33:19 PM by Jason »

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Re: I'm still making pizza...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 04:54:24 PM »
I was just looking back at my old posts, and see that I started using the Kettle Pizza about 2.5 years ago. Most of the pizza cooks have been on my favorite, and most used cooker...my Copper Gen 2 Performer. Check out the damage that is caused by the high heat, during a pizza cook...

There is even more crazing that isn't visible in this pic. I'm a bit bummed, but I use the hell out of this kettle, and it still cooks just fine!  ;D

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 05:08:56 PM »
Wow those pizzas look AMAZING!! Loving the all the topping combos, especially that pear one. I haven't used my KP yet but it looks like I should get a dedicated kettle for it

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
I haven't used my KP yet but it looks like I should get a dedicated kettle for it

This kettle has been used a LOT, but mostly for my routine grilling cooks. A large pile of glowing briquettes banked on the bowl, and burning wood chunks will definitely take its toll. You can't really see any of the damage, since it's in the Performer frame, but figured I'd post the pic anyway as a PSA... :o

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:31:05 PM »
Amazing looking pizzas. I need to make pizza sometime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
I haven't used my KP yet but it looks like I should get a dedicated kettle for it

This kettle has been used a LOT, but mostly for my routine grilling cooks. A large pile of glowing briquettes banked on the bowl, and burning wood chunks will definitely take its toll. You can't really see any of the damage, since it's in the Performer frame, but figured I'd post the pic anyway as a PSA... :o

My performer I use for pizzas has similar damage.  It actually had damage before I started making pizzas.  I'm guessing the spot in the pic you posted it where the grate strap is.  Unfortunately that area seems to be a weak spot on most grills.  I think the weld and extra metal in those spots causes the grill to expand when hot differently than the rest of the kettle and causes issue for the porcelain.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

ocmulgee2053

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:32:12 PM »
Good looking pizzas. I am sure that they tasted great. When I first tried to cook pizzas on my weber with a pizza oven attachment, I was temping out at 900 plus . I found that it was too hot for the style of crust and my cooking style. For the style of pizza my temps should be around 600 degrees. I quit cooking pizzas on my Weber until the weather warmed a little. Spring has sprung and I feel a Weber cooked pizza coming on. Keep posting those Weber pizza cooks.
Mike from North GA.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
For the style of pizza my temps should be around 600 degrees.

This is what I shoot for as well.

Oh, welcome to the forum @ocmulgee2053 !!