Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Where are all the Summit owners?  (Read 19530 times)

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
Re: Where are all the Summit owners?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 07:13:18 AM »
The gas assist does seem a little strange to me as well.  On the lower setting it works, but it does me no good because I am smoking and put the lit charcoal on top of the unlit.  On the upper setting when I would want to use it, it does not reach.  Would have loved a cheaper model that did not include one. 

You definitely need to see one in person and play with it to truly appreciate what it is.

My smoking set-up seems a little easier than this, but I am not discounting it at all- There are many ways that I am sure all work...    This is mine:

I dump in as much fresh fuel as the cook dictates. "Snuggle" in some smoking chunks around the pile, but staying pretty close to the business end of the gas assist tube. Turn the GA on for about 7-8 minutes. Lid open. While this is going, I install the heat deflector, drip pan and grate. Turn the GA off and close the lid and adjust the bottom and top vents to 100% open. Should come up to 225* in about 10-15 minutes. Then re-adjust the lower vent to the "smoke" setting and the upper vent to about 1/8" - 1/4" open. Throw your meat on and sit back and wait.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 07:14:38 AM »
@JordanW What basket are you using. .? Pics?

@Josh G @GoAnywhereJeep

It's really a shame then that the one feature I was excited about is seemingly a dud, at least until the aftermarket comes up with a better solution. I guess you could always put a chimney down in the bottom to get it lit then dump it over the baskets on the upper level. A little cumbersome.

JordanW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 07:21:44 AM »
@DynaGlide

Adrenaline BBQ Charcoal Basket

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 08:04:33 AM »
@JordanW can you take a pic sometime with it in the lower grate.

I was just watching a German video on YT and it hadn't occurred to me that the baskets that come with the grill fit in the lower grate. So it isn't really an issue. Light them down there, wear some welding gloves (which I always do anyway) and lift the baskets out while you put the grate back on the upper setting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:37:12 AM by DynaGlide »

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
It's not too much of issue to me as I am so used to using my chimney anyway.  It is very interesting how Jordan is doing his smokes.  I always use minion and have never thought to try a different way.

I'm going to give a try also to just cooking solely on the bottom grate setting and see if it works like Jordan says and who knows maybe the higher level is not needed for a good sear. 

Thanks @JordanW

JordanW

• WKC Brave
Where are all the Summit owners?
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 04:26:46 PM »
So this is my set up pretty much all the time.

1) First pic is how it sits when I’m ready to cook again. This was leftovers from cook #2 with that charcoal which was a tri tip that went at 350 for about 50 minutes.

2) Second is after I shake off the loose ash. Still a reasonable amount left. You can even just fire these back up if you want. Plenty there to get it to temp.

3) I threw a handful of fresh briquettes in as I know my next cook, I will need the extra fuel. I move the basket so the middle of it is directly over the GA tube. From here it’s the 30minute process I described above.

4) After the first 10 with the GA lit, shut it off and slide the basket all the way to the right side. I install my drip pan which also happens to be from Adrenaline BBQ. And your off and cooking! Direct grill thinner cuts on the right. Indirect on the left. Vents at %100 will put the temp 350-400 stable. Need some more heat for searing? Flip the vent open and the right side will go over 500-550 in a matter of minutes.

Food pics are thin cuts grilled direct on right side. Chicken and pork shoulder steaks.

@DynaGlide
@Josh G

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:34:44 PM by JordanW »

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
Awesome thank you for sharing. What size drip n griddle?

JordanW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2018, 05:03:16 AM »
@DynaGlide

I think there is only one size. And it works in the 22 kettle as well.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/drip-n-griddle-pan/

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
@mcgolden @SixZeroFour

Are you guys using the gas assist much on your summits?

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
@mcgolden @SixZeroFour

Are you guys using the gas assist much on your summits?

Actually, not that much.  If I'm smoking, I've usually got the bowl field with charcoal and then light a little to throw on top for a minion method type of cook.  So I'll use a chimney for that.  Otherwise, if I'm using the charcoal grate in the raised position, it seems a bit high to make use of the gas start.  But I have used it with the grate on the lower setting and then used a grate lifter to raise up for grilling.  So it's a bit of a mix.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
Absolutely! Every single time I use the grill. 8)

... BUT... I too was less than impressed with the flame height stock so I made a slight adjustment to the gas orifice so that it spits a higher flame now. We have proper valving bits here at work so I first found the exact match and then re-drilled it out a single size up. This was perfect fix - it now has enough flame to light charcoal in the top or bottom grate position.

When grilling, I just dump it in and fire it up! And when smoking I more or less do the same but load up the lower ring, then fire the gas assist on just long enough to light a patch in the middle and off you go!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
Absolutely! Every single time I use the grill. 8)

... BUT... I too was less than impressed with the flame height stock so I made a slight adjustment to the gas orifice so that it spits a higher flame now. We have proper valving bits here at work so I first found the exact match and then re-drilled it out a single size up. This was perfect fix - it now has enough flame to light charcoal in the top or bottom grate position.

When grilling, I just dump it in and fire it up! And when smoking I more or less do the same but load up the lower ring, then fire the gas assist on just long enough to light a patch in the middle and off you go!

The brass orifice that screws to the end of the regulator hose and pokes into the stainless tube? What size did you drill it to?

Thinking that this tool might work:
https://www.amazon.com/tool-home-Precision-Model-Drill-Twist/dp/B010BV7190
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

SixZeroFour

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »
The brass orifice that screws to the end of the regulator hose and pokes into the stainless tube? What size did you drill it to?

Yes - exactly that piece. You don't need the tool, the brass is soft enough that you can just spin the bit with your fingers to drill it out. Tricky part is finding someone with the CORRECT bit set as they aren't standard drill bits (increments between each bit are minuscule). I'll have to try to check the exact size I used tomorrow.

If you do track one down be sure to hold it vertically while "drilling" so that the shavings drop out as you do it...
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »

Yes - exactly that piece. You don't need the tool, the brass is soft enough that you can just spin the bit with your fingers to drill it out. Tricky part is finding someone with the CORRECT bit set as they aren't standard drill bits (increments between each bit are minuscule). I'll have to try to check the exact size I used tomorrow.

If you do track one down be sure to hold it vertically while "drilling" so that the shavings drop out as you do it...

The brass fitting comes off. Just need a 19mm wrench and a 16mm to hold the elbow. I have a spare regulator assembly and removed the brass part just today.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »