Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Where are all the Summit owners?  (Read 19532 times)

Easy

• WKC Brave
Re: Where are all the Summit owners?
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »
This would be my dream grill but I could only afford it if came up on like CL or Let go. I can see the benefits of this grill either model would do me just fine. Someday I will have one or a clone

GroceryBoy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2019, 07:00:01 PM »
Thank you all. I bought the charcoal Summit one for the simple reason it appears ALL the current owners love their grills. Have cooked burgers and chix breast so far. Looking forward to a brisket this weekend! Thank you all again for sharing!!

Team1952

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »
Since this thread was brought back to the top, I've had my Summit for around 2 months.  So far I've had to have the lid handle replaced, gone through 2 Rapidfire vents and a new stainless table.  Weber has been great about sending parts, so I have no complaints there.  I will be ordering another charcoal grate soon.

I use mine a lot.  I added a BBQ Guru and just received the Summit cookbook yesterday (I didn't know they would be sending one).  Since getting it, I've only used the gasser once, and haven't touched my other kettles.  Already done quite a few ribs and just did my first brisket a couple weeks ago.  Smash burgers at least once a week, and I have made some great chicken too.  My favorite lump on this grill has been Jealous Devil and I've been going through quite a bit of Kingsford blue too.

However, if I knew then what I know now, I'm not sure I'd buy it.  You can see where they cut corners, and at this price point that's unacceptable.  I cannot stand the charcoal basket scraping across the painted shelf, the sliding basket should be on bearing slides and it should have come with a built-in temperature controller, a high-end cover, a charcoal tool and a grate tool.  Weber should offer owners a $750 rebate, or $750 worth of accessories, IMO.

Out of curiosity, what was wrong with your table and rapid fire vent?

memsfis

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
Yes the temp adjustments are very quick and easy with very little practice. I use it almost every night (weather permitting, i don't have a covered area). For instance, last night, did some cedar plank salmon at about 300* indirect. Then when those were about done, I flipped up the vent and brought the temp up to about 425* to sear off some scallops on the cast iron flat. Then shut it down and was able to cover it back up within a couple hours. Did all this with a used basket of charcoal from a previous cook.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2019, 04:47:34 AM »
Now that this thread is over a year old. .is everyone still happy with their Summit Charcoal purchase? If it were taken away today and you were refunded the money would you buy again?

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2019, 06:29:01 AM »
Now that this thread is over a year old. .is everyone still happy with their Summit Charcoal purchase? If it were taken away today and you were refunded the money would you buy again?

I gotta say that I would in heart beat. I love using mine!!! Especially smoking on it, it is fantastic. It’s no doubt expensive and definitely not for everyone. But it’s great quality and I am extremely happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #141 on: September 03, 2019, 06:51:44 AM »
The thing I take for granted is temp control adjustments and how responsive this unit responds.  Just this past weekend, I was cooking chicken around 325F, my brother wanted to cook some steaks around 600F, then back down to 300F.  I was able to do this with very little time delay, the Summit performed. This happened all while watching college football. Didn't have to worry ab9ut temp fluctuations.

Having said that, I do take that for granted and it is hard to convince someone this benefit when all they hear about is how wonderful their ceramic kamado is. Of course, ceramics are great, but I feel the Summit is worth it.
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2019, 08:38:17 AM »

I would not buy the table model again. The gas assist is useless. Other than that, I cook on it almost daily.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:45:34 AM by dwnthehatch »

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:42 AM »
Mind elaborating? I recall several people modified the burner tube to get a bigger flame. I use gas assist on my Performer every time to light the chimney. On my BGE I dump the lump in and heat the middle with a looftlighter. On a Summit I imagine I'd do the same and skip a chimney.

I would not buy the table model again. The gas assist is useless. Other than that, I cook on it almost daily.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2019, 07:18:55 AM »
Mind elaborating? I recall several people modified the burner tube to get a bigger flame. I use gas assist on my Performer every time to light the chimney. On my BGE I dump the lump in and heat the middle with a looftlighter. On a Summit I imagine I'd do the same and skip a chimney.

I used it exclusively on all of my performers and loved it. Never had an issue other than an occasional cleaning. For the summit, it just never worked properly.   I first bought a new orifice and drilled it out like the others on here and I still do not get the flame I want if it ever ignites. Weber has sent me replacement parts twice. No luck. I just use cubes.  As for the table, I would rather have a custom one made for the additional cost.