Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It was a great day (Yellow Resto Pics Added)  (Read 1848 times)

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: It was a great day
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 04:17:00 AM »
Ya' done good brutha... Grate day!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »
That's quite a score!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: It was a great day [emoji106]
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
Congrats on the acquisition! Take pics of the yellow's restoration. I've got a yellow in roughly that shape, I'd like to see how you do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Will do, and thanks everyone.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »
Congrats, Rub! Definitely a grate day! Looking forward to seeing them cleaned up!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 09:20:00 PM »

Take pics of the yellow's restoration. I've got a yellow in roughly that shape, I'd like to see how you do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I was able to dig into the yellow the past couple days. It was more rough than I initially thought. Two of the leg sockets were about to fall off. I had to decide whether to drill and do the fender washers or take it to my buddy to be welded. I went with the weld and am glad I did. I took the bowl over to my friend Jason's (Unknown kettle/drum hinges) new shop. The man has crazy good welding skills. He fixed it and you can barely tell he did anything, but they are now rock solid. EDIT: before and after were flipped, they are now labeled correctly.

AFTER

[/size]

BEFORE

So with those now solid I moved on to the bowl porcelain damage. I have a 22" yellow that also had a fair amount of porcelain damage and it drove me nuts. When I looked at it all I ever saw was the rusty pock marks. I knew I couldn't match the color but if I could get close it would tone down the stark black pock marks against the bright yellow. So the plan was to do the same with the 18" as I did on the 22". After a general cleaning of the bowl I got the Dremel out and used a small wire cup to clean off rust where I could. Then I used white high heat Rustoleum and hit all the rusty spots. I followed that with a razor blade and steel wool to get the excess white off of the good porcelain. Once that was dry I followed up with some high temp engine paint in Daytona Yellow. I sprayed the pocks where the grill straps popped and hand painted the smaller marks. After 2 coats of that I went back with the blade and steel wool.

It came out pretty good. Nowhere close to perfect but I got rid of the ugly black marks which was my goal. I also sanded and tung oiled the handle, cleaned the legs and top vent, drilled out and reattached the 3 bottom vents that had rusted off, and cleaned up the triangle.

So I wanted to cook some burgers for my wife and myself on it tonight. I lit a half chimney of Kingsford and centered the coal on the grate, opened all of the vents, and put the lid on to let it preheat. I got out my infrared thermometer and checked out the temp on the bowl at the most orange spot and it temped at 356° at the hottest spot. The yellow paint was good for up to 500° so all was good.

Then I got the crazy idea to add a quarter chimney of lit lump to the party and that took it too hot. I didn't get a picture but the temp in the same area was now over 625° and sure enough it blackened a couple of the painted yellow spots.

Lesson learned. I've used lump in my other yellow with no damage and that's got to be because the charcoal grate is larger and I can keep the lump away from the sides. So tomorrow I’ll go back and repaint the damaged areas and stick to just briquettes from now on in the 18”.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 09:30:20 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: It was a great day (Yellow Resto Pics Added)
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 02:50:56 AM »
Yup! Nice job on the ol' yeller Rob!

I've pretty much resigned myself that any painting of the bowls with the Dupli-Color Engine paint is going to burn up and turn black in the hot zones, I've tried 2000* primer as a base coat but the colors burn at 450++.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:39 AM »
Beautiful job on the restore!
Sucks you've got to back and repaint...
Still looks great, handle and top vent especially

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 05:07:32 AM »
Nice work @Rub . Nice to see the yellow blush. Enjoy those grails

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »
nice pick ups !