Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Summits still being produced?  (Read 2385 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Charcoal Summits still being produced?
« on: March 09, 2018, 04:55:01 PM »
So I was recently introduced to a Weber Summit Charcoal Facebook group (don’t worry, WKC is still my favorite) and someone posed an interesting question. Someone asked if the Summits were still being produced or might they be discontinuing them? I hadn’t thought anything of it until I got my new Summit today. My Summit Grill Center is an AR code (2016). Also the standalone Summit, which I got last year and just sold, was also an AR code.  This has me wondering. Does anyone have a Summit made after 2016?  Also wondering if anyone knows someone at Weber that might know anything?  I really hope Weber plans to keep making them?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Re: Charcoal Summits still being produced?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:57 AM »
My Summit (I have both) is an AR code as well. My guess is that they overpriced them so much that they are still trying to sell the first production batch from 2016. I seriously doubt they would disc. them this quickly after releasing them in Apr. 16?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 08:40:50 AM »
I was curious about that too.  Mine is AR as well.  All the boxes inside said 2016.  Why make more if you still have a bunch to sell.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »

My Summit (I have both) is an AR code as well. My guess is that they overpriced them so much that they are still trying to sell the first production batch from 2016. I seriously doubt they would disc. them this quickly after releasing them in Apr. 16?

I don’t think they overpriced them relative to the other kamados on the market that are this size and the weber has a lot of nice features that others don’t. I think they are late in the game and will take some time (if ever) to get a good foot hold in that niche market. If I was looking to get a kamado at retail price, I would get the weber. Maybe someday. 

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
Kind of hard to sell them when many people do no know about them or that they exist.  Every hardware store around me has BGE, or Vision, or Akorn....specialty stores carry BGE or Primo.....not once in 2 yrs have I seen a WSC....unless you research well in advance, your mind has likely settled on choosing between the choices you have seen in person....not many folks will drop 1K+ on a grill they have never set their eyes upon.....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
Agree with everyone here. It’s not as much price as it is marketing. They need to go directly after the Green Egg / Kamado market.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 09:32:41 AM »
Poor Marketing for sure.. I think Weber has tight control on the retailers and so many of them can't justify the investment.
I've only seen one store in my area that had a display. That was at a high end Ace Hardware and the income level of the neighborhood is definitely the 1% group.

I just wish the weber charcoal was a bit cheaper!
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
I definitely agree that Weber has done a horrible job of introducing and promoting this new product. I live in St. Louis and I can tell you personally that if you want to see a new Summit Charcoal grill in person, there are maybe only 4 or 5 places in the entire STL metro area that I know of where they are on display? Why is this? ...and in order to find these 4 or 5 retailers who have them on display, you really have to do some homework and make phone calls to seek them out. There shouldn't be this much work involved to see a new product.

I think they were overpriced from the beginning. Within 6-8 months after their introduction, we were already seeing brand new cart models pop up on Craigslist and eBay for $1499 and brand new stand alone units for $999. Why was this happening if the original MSRP was correct? IMO, the $1499/$999 price points are where the prices ought to be.

The last point I want to make is that I would love to see Weber make a standard kettle with the two level charcoal grate design that the Summit Charcoal grill has. A product like that would be unbelievably popular. (It will never be done). If somebody ever started the thread: "Products we wish Weber would make", this would be number one on my list.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
We, in Germany, have to pay more than 3000$.
So yes I guess it’s overpriced!

Just a few people are willing to pay 3000$ for a charcoal kettle
esp. in a non BBQ county :-)

Marketing and price, both are a no go in that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

Zinn

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 04:23:31 PM »
Imho the Summit charcoal grill is overpriced. People compare it to a kamado, its not a kamado its a charcoal grill. I love Weber products and own several, 2-26ers, 3-22s and a WSM, but this Summit is just way overpriced. I can afford one easily but refuse to pay the asking price.

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »
I think we can all agree it is over priced, compared to the kettle.  But then, most ceramics the same size are priced over what we're comfortable paying.  However, this is truly a kamado, there are no ifs, ands or buts.  Its a kamado.  This has the insulating properties of the traditional ceramic kamados, its just lighter and more portable.  Weber did a great job designing this grill, I just think they missed the mark on price, seems the marketing guys were the loudest in the meetings.....

Check this out:
https://youtu.be/QTcozmUSWw4
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 04:41:55 PM »

Imho the Summit charcoal grill is overpriced. People compare it to a kamado, its not a kamado its a charcoal grill. I love Weber products and own several, 2-26ers, 3-22s and a WSM, but this Summit is just way overpriced. I can afford one easily but refuse to pay the asking price.

No disrespect but you say it’s not a Kamado, it’s a charcoal grill. A Kamado is also a charcoal grill and I would argue that the Summit performs every bit as well as a ceramic Kamado. That being said, I agree that they’re overpriced. But they are great grills and I’d take the WSC over a Green Egg or Kamado Joe, which are also great grills.

V-22 Osprey

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 06:21:47 PM »
I went to 3 Weber dealers trying to look at one, same answer. We can order it but we do not stock it! Ended up ordering the grilling center on-line...$1649.00 to the door!  To be honest I hope they drop the price just so the used base get bigger.  Its an amazing cooker thats being held back because of its price or being perceived as overpriced.  IMHO if this was the only grill Weber offered like BGE or KJ, was marketed as the latest and greatest in Kamado style grills it might be seen as a good value.   

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »
For 1650$ I would buy one ! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

joewhodatt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »
I bought mine in April of 2016 and haven’t look back since then.   Local Ace had one on display so I did my research and made the purchase.  I agree that it is expensive but until you use one you won’t truly understand how great it is !!   I have had a few issues but Weber has took care of any problems.    I agree that the advertising is horrible for this grill.   Weber needs to do better job getting these news out about these grills.   Keep grilling everyone

Sent from my  Joes Cajunbadassbbq