Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cat on the grill.  (Read 1981 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Cat on the grill.
« on: March 23, 2018, 11:25:30 AM »
Don't know the occasion but wifey said no meat for today so i figured I'll throw in a couple of 4 pounder live catfish on the grill.  Obviously i had to kill them first before they went on the grill but that was the easy part. While at the market, i decided to take them home alive so they just placed them on a large plastic bags. When I got home, the catfish  somehow managed to wiggled out of the bags were crawling all over my car trunk. I was a bitch catching  them as they were very slimy. Fortunately i have a rubberized lining on my trunk so they they didn't make a mess on the carpet.
This cook is an ethnic delicacy. Just brushed it off with salt,black pepper, cayenne and a little sesame oil.  Cooked it at 500F for roughly 40 minutes indirect using the caliente stacker and a poortex  at the lowest charcoal setting. Finished it off direct for 1 minute on each side. Not much of an eye-candy while plated so decided to skip it. It is served with steamed rice and a dipping consisting of finely chopped ginger, onions, scallions, tomatoes, fish sauce and a little lemon.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:32:46 AM by Jules V. »

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cat on the grill.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »
Cool cook!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:41:34 AM »
that's funny about the trunk, nice looking cook
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:17:53 PM »
That is nuts!  I was thinking catfish might not work well in a plastic bag since they generally have some sharp barbs.  Glad it all worked out in the end!  It seems like they didn't want to live and you were able to assist them with that!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Cat on the grill.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 01:03:34 PM »

Yeah i should've asked  for it to be placed inside a cardboard box in conjunction with the plastic bags.  Might also want to add that catfish area  a very hardy species that  after getting them off the trunk, i took them straight out to the backyard and let them loose on the grass. Took out a rubber mallet  to hit them on the head. After 2-3 very hard hits, they're still trying to get away, so i just got a chopping board and a machete to chop them in half.
In the end, all that trouble was well worth it as you can see on the photo below. I ate half a catfish...eyes and all. Only thing left is the bones.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:33:26 AM by Jules V. »

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:35:52 AM »
They are hearty bastards, butt you did them well. Looks mighty good!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
Looks great. Did you move the grill up and down on the Caliente? No need to right? Was thinking about getting a roti and saw the Caliente come up in my search. Can you drill holes and use the Caliente for a roti application? Can you add a grill to double your cook using it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Cat on the grill.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »

I left the charcoal grate at it's lowest position  throughout even when i seared the fish. Catfish, especially skin-on, have a very high fat content that you will  run the risk of engulfing it in flames if placed too close  to the coals. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:34:53 AM by Jules V. »

electric_h76

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »
Sounds like a brutal way to have a fish dinner.  A cooler of ice would have made for a much tastier and humane result.  And yes I am a hunter and fisherman.  No need to torture what I catch and cook though

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 05:56:27 PM »
Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Never intended to torture the fish. Not aware of the ice treatment either. Typically for catfish, you need to immobilize it before you can slit below the head area to drain the blood. Being the size they were, 2-3 hits with a plastic mallet wasn't sufficient. Also this is the same process that all the markets that i typically get them from uses. Sorry for being insensitive.

electric_h76

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 03:35:58 AM »
Sorry Jules, maybe I came off too strong on the matter.  It just bothered me last night for some reason.  I try to be better to animals than i used to be,  but I havent wrestled any large catfish either so you may be right. Only catch saltwater cats here that dont usually get eaten.  Anyway,  my apologies and they look tasty on the grill! 

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:28:49 AM »
I applaud the efforts on wrestling with live fish. I have no experience hunting or fishing so I’m sure I would have encountered the same difficulties.

At least you will know what to do different next time.  I tried clubbing baby seals once and it was very difficult.