Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red mist SSP  (Read 1368 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Red mist SSP
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »
Thanks guys, I may take y'alls advice and keep them both.

This weekend may turn out to be the most epic Weber collecting weekend ever for me, I will know for sure by next weekend. I picked up this red SSP Friday then Saturday CL gave up one "holy crap!" find and an hour later and one that made my heartrate double and the "holy crap!" deal seem like vanilla ice cream. I have agreements with both sellers and agents lined up. Keeping my fingers crossed.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 06:45:58 PM »
Nice. That photo is making me think my next purchase will be the SSP. Right now I use my 18 to hold all my cooking stuff.
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:01 AM »
I picked up a red SSP a bit before the new year (maybe right before Christmas).  Mine has where the red is two tone on the lid, basically a different color red in a circle around the lid. 

Haven't cleaned it yet, but I did my first cook on it Saturday because it got up allegedly to 47.  Just scrapped off the grill & had the coals burn any nastiness off.  Cooked some pork chops, chicken & burgers.  The table is nice & the extra storage underneath may make it easier to leave a variety of BBQ equipment there. I just used the charcoal chimneys because someone said that I'd have an issue getting the tank re-filled plus the charcoal chimneys seem to be as easy. 

I stumbled across a "Neverwet" by Rustoleum cover for up to a 70" gas grill clearanced at Walmart for $10.  It is more than ample for the grill and seems to be a good quality material.  If anything, it's a maybe still a bit too big even when both cinches are cinched all the way on both sides.

I can't wait until the weather gets nicer so I can hopefully do a nice job cleaning this baby up.  It's in great shape, but the little swivel wheels fall out way too easily so I'll have to put a shim in/glue them or something.  I'm also missing the 3 tool hooks & two endcaps on the top tubes.  I'm probably going to replace any nuts inside the bowl (for example, lid bale) with stainless as some have suggested (plus I'm missing one nut any way). 
regards,
Hal

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 01:07:19 AM »
I picked up a red SSP a bit before the new year (maybe right before Christmas).  Mine has where the red is two tone on the lid, basically a different color red in a circle around the lid. 

Haven't cleaned it yet, but I did my first cook on it Saturday because it got up allegedly to 47.  Just scrapped off the grill & had the coals burn any nastiness off.  Cooked some pork chops, chicken & burgers.  The table is nice & the extra storage underneath may make it easier to leave a variety of BBQ equipment there. I just used the charcoal chimneys because someone said that I'd have an issue getting the tank re-filled plus the charcoal chimneys seem to be as easy. 

I stumbled across a "Neverwet" by Rustoleum cover for up to a 70" gas grill clearanced at Walmart for $10.  It is more than ample for the grill and seems to be a good quality material.  If anything, it's a maybe still a bit too big even when both cinches are cinched all the way on both sides.

I can't wait until the weather gets nicer so I can hopefully do a nice job cleaning this baby up.  It's in great shape, but the little swivel wheels fall out way too easily so I'll have to put a shim in/glue them or something.  I'm also missing the 3 tool hooks & two endcaps on the top tubes.  I'm probably going to replace any nuts inside the bowl (for example, lid bale) with stainless as some have suggested (plus I'm missing one nut any way).
How about some photos?  PM me your address and i will send you the tool hooks and wheels.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 01:53:01 AM »
This is just the pic from the craigslist ad.  It allegedly had been sitting inside the business for several years.  Before that, it was at the owners "house", which allegedly is an aircraft hanger and was inside when not in use.  There was no cover & based on the condition, I'm guessing that might very well be true. 

There is a fair amount of of grime around the vent & inside, plus around the rim which rubbed off on the bottom bowl where the lid rim moves along it when using the lid bale.

I'll take some more photos when the weather gets nicer.  Some before & (hopefully) after the cleanup.

Thanks, I'll PM you my address.
regards,
Hal