Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ... taking the early 70's Fleetwood for a spin at work  (Read 2271 times)

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
... taking the early 70's Fleetwood for a spin at work
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
Prepping for a wine dinner I wrote the menu for this Thursday... third course is porchetta  stuffed with oyster mushroom, spinach, dried cranberries and roasted almonds served over risotto style forbidden rice with pineapple and a pomegranate gastrique.
While I wrote the menu I jokingly said I should cook this on a kettle and much to my surprise my chef agreed... over the weekend I get the wild idea and ask @Mike in Roseville if I could use his Cajun Bandit rotisserie his wife had just bought him for the cook. Much to my joy and surprise he agreed. Late last night watching the news I'm made aware that a storm was rolling through, fuck. I sent Mike a text to let him know that if it rained I wouldn't be using his roti for the cook as I don't even use my weber roti in the rain. This morning while taking the kids to school the storm slowly starts to roll in. Then a light goes off, I have been wanting a pop up canopy for a while but never needed to make the purchase and today gave me my excuse to finally make the purchase. Leaving the store I text Mike that the cook is on!
I arrive in kitchen at 930 knowing my meat order with my bellies would be dropping in the next half an hour if it hadn't yet dropped. As I'm finishing my morning protein counts my driver walks through the door, I shout over and ask him to leave my bellies out as I need to get them stuffed, rolled and cooked today. "Have fun their frozen" his reply...
Two 15 pound skin on bellies now bound for a sous vide defrost. After an hour and thirty minutes at 40° bellies were workable and I was on my way. Belly one was on spit and spinning by 2 and went for two hours using weber briquettes in baskets 8 lit to start each side. At the end of 2 hours I switched porchetta's and added another 7 unlit briquettes to each basket total cook time for both porchetta was 4 hours (two hours apiece). While the bellies were defrosting I worked out the curried lamb meatballs with smoked fresh mozzarella and green tomato marinara.
... the Cajun Bandit rotisserie worked to and beyond my expectations. The look and feel of the roti is very nice, Mike has the battery powered motor and I must admit I was skeptical. Mike had of course told me all would be fine but hey what can I say I was going to need to see it too believe it. The motor performed flawlessly for the entire cook. Thanks again Mike for allowing me to use it for this cook. I will be purchasing one within the month.
This storm brought it's all with thunder and lightning,  heavy rain, sideways rain and hail and nice wind gusts throughout the cook.

I will return Thursday with the rest of the story of the dinner and photos of the event.
Cool side note is Jim @cellar2ful and his wife as well as their extended family will be present for the event.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: ... taking the early 70's Fleetwood for a spin at work
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:29:02 AM »
What an awesome cook, are there any reservations left ? I could get a buddy pass and fly out!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 05:09:03 AM »
What an awesome cook, are there any reservations left ? I could get a buddy pass and fly out!!
Yes there are still seats available...

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »
That looks just awesome, Chef.  Nice team work with Mike to make it happen and very considerate of you to buy the pop-up canopy.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »
Happy to help Matt. I also greatly appreciate the consideration and care.

That cook looks phenomenal. Can’t wait to see the final plating and presentation on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Looks amazing! 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
Yup. That's just plain ol' pretty! Nicely done chef!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:14:12 PM »
Nice to hear a story from a chef. Fearless cooking! Can't wait to see the pictures. My first barbecue was a night broiler shift when the hood fans went out. I cooked all the steaks that night on two rented bbqs.
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
Nice to hear a story from a chef. Fearless cooking! Can't wait to see the pictures. My first barbecue was a night broiler shift when the hood fans went out. I cooked all the steaks that night on two rented bbqs.
... the show must go on!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 05:06:11 PM »
Just incredible. I would love to be a guest. It sounds amazing.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 05:09:03 PM »
Great story!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »

Looking forward to the dinner Matt.  The two hour drive in the predicted thunderstorms to your restaurant, not so much.  Thank goodness my sister's house where we will be spending the night is only 10 miles from your restaurant.

@JEBIV  -  I'm sure it would be a memorable night if you did make it.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
Great work guys!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 05:58:35 AM »
Outstanding!

Great job, Matt!

Im sure Jim will chime in soon, but overall how’d the event go?