Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer upgrades/updates  (Read 1315 times)

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Performer upgrades/updates
« on: February 25, 2018, 12:07:51 AM »
Finally got around to updating my Gen 2 performer with the new table, bowl, and lid Weber sent me last summer. Also added the new style ash pan with the squeeze lock and new ash sweeps for the new bowl.  Also replaced the lid holder bolt and gas assist hardware with stainless hex bolts and nuts, and installed a new control cover.  Still need to replace the casters and have some new wheels to put on.  Really like the metal table.

I picked up a rough SSP last month for cheap ( Did they make a black mist?  The lid was faded in a perfect mist like ring. ).  Well the SSP got all the Gen 2 parts that were removed as well as new stainless bolts and nuts.   Picked up a new 5lb tank and swapped to the acme style connector on the regulator. Still need to take care of the rusty axle and replace the star nuts and black square tube caps. But the SSP has come along way.   It took lots of grinding on the SSP to remove the lid holder,  gas assist, and ash sweeps.  Wish they had not used slotted screw-head bolts. The screw slots had rusted out making it impossible to remove without cutting

Both grills needed the gas assists cleaned, even though the Gen 2 has been working perfectly until a few weeks ago. Both igniters and burners are working great now.

I was off work Friday so pork shoulders went on the Gen 2.  And the SSP cooked chicken and then skillet potatoes for lunch. 

Would like to find  a use for the old SSP lid and bowl even if they are in rough condition.  Has anyone ever used an old grill as a fire pit.  The bowl already had a ton of pocs from banking coals.  And the lid is missing steel under the damper due to rust. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: Performer upgrades/updates
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 12:57:56 AM »
Those grills looks great as I'm partial to ssp ang gen2. Not a collector by any means so all i have currently is 2 gen2, 3 ssp, 2 platinums and  a gen4. Getting  rid of the 2 platinums/gen4 shortly and probably replace it with a gen2 and a ssp as i have 2-3 more colors that I'm eyeing.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 05:49:48 AM »

Those grills looks great as I'm partial to ssp ang gen2. Not a collector by any means so all i have currently is 2 gen2, 3 ssp, 2 platinums and  a gen4. Getting  rid of the 2 platinums/gen4 shortly and probably replace it with a gen2 and a ssp as i have 2-3 more colors that I'm eyeing.
Same here I like the black and stainless much better than the gray frames.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:15:55 AM »
Nice! How'd you cook the chicken? They look delicious!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »

Salt and lots of pepper indirect at 350 with one small chunk of hickory at the beginning.  Pulled them when they hit 160.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 02:01:15 PM »
Looking great!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »

Salt and lots of pepper indirect at 350 with one small chunk of hickory at the beginning.  Pulled them when they hit 160.

Thanks! They've got some awesome color to them.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.