Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18" WSM Score  (Read 1665 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
18" WSM Score
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:20:15 PM »
I found a local liquidator recently that sells store returns and close outs.  While I was looking around on their website I saw a few Weber items, one of which was an 18" WSM.  It said it was used and the box in the pictures looked a little banged up but figured I would throw a couple bids out.  I managed to score it for $130 and picked it up today.  To my surprise it was brand new in the box.  The middle section had a few chips around the top of it, I am going to register it and call Weber on Monday.  I assume since its new they will replace it for me.  I am not sure at this point if I am going to keep it or flip it but either way I figured it was a big score for the price and it being brand new.   

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: 18" WSM Score
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:32:41 PM »
Nice! If you were closer id be interested in the middle and lid, but shipping to ca would be loot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
18" WSM Score
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 05:17:59 AM »
I hate to be “that guy” and apparently I’m the only one that feels this way because I see it happen all of the time and seems to be widely accepted within this club, BUT I would consider trying to get a warranty replacement on an item that was purchased from a store return liquidation store DISHONEST. My guess is this unit was already replaced and that’s why it was a return or a defect.

At some point weber will no longer be able or willing to continue their great customer service and it will be the same people complaining about it that took advantage in the first place.

I’m not picking on you jeepin, your just doing what almost everyone does in this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 05:47:25 AM »
I'm with you @HoosierKettle, and I've said the same thing more than once. Look at what LL Bean had to do recently for the same reason. Had to cancel a lifetime guarantee on boots due to the abuse of their generous policy:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/09/584493046/l-l-bean-scraps-legendary-lifetime-return-policy

Of course, then there are people who are so greedy and dense they have to fight them in court.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/style/fashion-trends/a18196722/ll-bean-sued-return-policy-change/

Idiots! Remember Craftsman? Think of all the $ they had to eat for every doofus that bought a busted crescent wrench at a yard sale for a dime and demanded they replace it.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:57:10 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
I hate to be “that guy” and apparently I’m the only one that feels this way because I see it happen all of the time and seems to be widely accepted within this club, BUT I would consider trying to get a warranty replacement on an item that was purchased from a store return liquidation store DISHONEST. My guess is this unit was already replaced and that’s why it was a return or a defect.

At some point weber will no longer be able or willing to continue their great customer service and it will be the same people complaining about it that took advantage in the first place.

I’m not picking on you jeepin, your just doing what almost everyone does in this club.

@HoosierKettle
No, no … Let's be clear.  You are not the only one that feels this way. Okay.  Thank you.  :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »
I don't mean to play the devil's advocate here, but just to tell you of my similar experience. I bought a green 22" kettle from the same kind of source, and the lid had lots of chips in the porcelain. I called Weber only to see if they could recommend a brand/color of high-temp paint that would be a good match for the green color. I told them up front how I got the kettle, and still they insisted on sending me a new lid. In this case I wouldn't ask for a replacement, and since it's black I wouldn't contact Weber at all, I'd just touch up the chips and consider myself lucky. But if the OP does call Weber, then tell them how the WSM was acquired, and let them make the decision.

Ken/Washington

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »
Most companies are clear on there warranty. If they cover the original purchase or the product or both? I've bought second hand tools and have used the lifetime warranty. Its the tool they warranty and don't care about who owns it, just that the tool lasts forever... So I'm just a humble construction worker with an opinion. Be honest with the company and if they choose to help you out great. Warranties are fairly complex from company to company.

Sent from my XT1585 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 11:05:54 AM »
Now, back to the OP,   lol ...nice score jeepin. I too landed a couple at the same auction/liquidator... under $100 for these 2, NIB and as far as I can tell perfect. I have an opinion on the tangent too. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER