Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: All things carbon steel  (Read 1649 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
All things carbon steel
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:11:23 AM »
Who has a carbon steel skillet and how do you like it compared to cast iron?  I do not have one yet but suspect I would like it.

My only carbon steel piece is a wok so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: All things carbon steel
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
I have one, Lodge, picked it up at the factory store in Tn. I really like it except I forget I have it a lot thanks for the reminder. Get ya one you won't regret it. Very even heat distribution and will get to temp quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »
I have no carbon steel skillets... all mine are cast iron. Butt I have a carbon steel wok... works fantabulous on the kettle!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
I have a Lodge 12" carbon skillet. I like it because its light & easy to work with...especially since my hands started to malfunction last year. It works in the kitchen and the grill but if you plan to use it mostly on the grill I'd recommend looking at Lodges CRS15, or equivalent, because it has two stubby loop handles instead of the long skillet style handle and it'll fit in the grill better.

Sooner or later I'd like to make a run to the restaurant supply and see what they got for carbon steel skillets and paella pans. Ideally, for my purposes, a 17-18" skillet is what I'd wana get and then lopp the handle off so its about 1 1/2" long. Then use the remnant to make another one for the other side and weld it on.

CRS15
https://shop.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-steel/15-inch-seasoned-steel-skillet.asp

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:32:56 PM »

I have one, Lodge, picked it up at the factory store in Tn. I really like it except I forget I have it a lot thanks for the reminder. Get ya one you won't regret it. Very even heat distribution and will get to temp quick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thanks.  Just the encouragement I needed. Can’t wait to try one out.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
All things carbon steel
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 03:36:48 PM »
I have a Lodge 12" carbon skillet. I like it because its light & easy to work with...especially since my hands started to malfunction last year. It works in the kitchen and the grill but if you plan to use it mostly on the grill I'd recommend looking at Lodges CRS15, or equivalent, because it has two stubby loop handles instead of the long skillet style handle and it'll fit in the grill better.

Sooner or later I'd like to make a run to the restaurant supply and see what they got for carbon steel skillets and paella pans. Ideally, for my purposes, a 17-18" skillet is what I'd wana get and then lopp the handle off so its about 1 1/2" long. Then use the remnant to make another one for the other side and weld it on.

CRS15
https://shop.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-steel/15-inch-seasoned-steel-skillet.asp

The long handle has been my hold up. I’ll get a skillet to use inside and keep an eye out for that 15”. That looks like it would be great on a kettle. Thanks for the insight.  A lighter option does sound attractive. Nice looking cook by the way.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »
I have two carbon steel paella pans: a 14” and 24.”

I think the carbon steel pans are easier to season than cast iron and require a coat of oil after each cook to prevent rust. The cast iron is a little easier to maintain overall. Heat retention between the two is very similar.

[attachment deleted by admin]

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:30 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention my 2 paella pans... one for my 18.5 and one for my 22.5. They rock!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:38:07 AM »
I’ve got two heavy duty carbon steel paella pans too. Both of these pans fit my 22 kettle. Carbon steel is great if you don’t want to retain heat once removed from the fire. I clean them and keep them oiled when stores. Cat iron has unique advantages.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:46:14 AM »
I’ve got two heavy duty carbon steel paella pans too. Both of these pans fit my 22 kettle. Carbon steel is great if you don’t want to retain heat once removed from the fire. I clean them and keep them oiled when stores. Cat iron has unique advantages.

When we travel, the 18.5 travels with us, along with the paella pan. And yes, oil them for storage.  8)

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
I have thick carbon steel pan passed down to me. It's 50+ years old and going strong. I don't like the little bump up in the center because it keeps oil away from the area needed most but even with that flaw, I use it weekly.  My 4 cast iron pans get the most use though. Daily. Just like the heat retention better in cast iron but that's just because they are thicker. The only reason you don't see carbon steel as thick is because of the cost is higher than cast iron. The secret is in the word CAST. You can cast iron, you can't just cast steel for cooking utensils, you have to stamp it or machine it.
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »
I have the lodge 15" carbon steel skillet it is really nice
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 04:20:07 PM »
I forgot I have a carbon steel wok and the  lodge crs 15 has two handles which makes it nice on the griil
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
I have a carbon steel wok and carbon still skillet. I went with Matfer Bourgeat brand for the skillet. I have 4 cast iron skillets (3 lodge, 1 griswold) that get much less use after getting the carbon steel skillet.

I leave the carbon steel skillet on the range and use it for nearly everything. I enjoy sauteing with it as the sloped sidewalls allowing tossing of food more easily. While it is lighter, the handle is rather long and obnoxious, I may get another brand to see if it's any better.