Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spatchcock Chicken  (Read 4731 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Re: Spatchcock Chicken
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »

Yup, skip the roti too. Have used them as well.

edit; spatchcock = same/similar results with less work, fewer contraptions and less cleaning.

But I just bought a roti lol[emoji848]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rottie will be best investment uv made. [emoji106][emoji106]
Get a skewer kit a do ya pork on that

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Yeah I was thinking it would really convenient to have something like that! Now I gotta search for one. Do they make something like this?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:11:36 AM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:59 AM »
Rotis are still fun, even though I am saying that you don't really *need* one. I have one for my 6 burner, stainless gasser. If I ever get a 26, It is definitely getting a CB roti just so I can mess around with it. Still, I rarely use the roti unless I simply just want to cook with it so then I look for any old reason.  ;)

YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
I like spatchcock chicken. Do it at 325 and cook to temp so it doesn’t dry out. Make sure to get rub under the skin. A little injection in the breasts don’t hurt either.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »

Yup, skip the roti too. Have used them as well.

edit; spatchcock = same/similar results with less work, fewer contraptions and less cleaning.

But I just bought a roti lol[emoji848]

Rottie will be best investment uv made. [emoji106][emoji106]
Get a skewer kit a do ya pork on that

Yeah I was thinking it would really convenient to have something like that! Now I gotta search for one. Do they make something like this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »
Back on topic , it’s a nice chook u cooked 🤙

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »
A tip or two to improve your chicken.

Spatchcock or butterflied chicken is about the poorest way to cook a chicken. You cut the chicken open and in your case, put it on the grill skin side up so all the juices with cook out of the chicken as there is nothing to stop the juice from running out of the meat. The heat from the fire will bring all the juice from the meat to the surface and it will just run out of the meat.

Ok, so if you must do it this way, place the chicken on the cooking grate skin side DOWN! Use the wonderful skin to block all the moisture from running out of the chicken when the heat pulls the juice to the surface of the meat. Do not turn it over for any reason and complete your cook in this manner. Even when you take it off when done, be very careful to keep it skin side down while it cools to allow all the moisture on the surface to return to the meat.

Skin side down will usually result in better skin on your finished chicken especially if you are using a good chicken grilling temperature of at least 300 degrees measured at the surface of the cooking grid.

I think you can see the puddles of juice on this butterflied chicken and this is constantly oozing out of your meat during your cook if you are cooking skin side up. Imagine, if you could keep all this wonderful flavor and moisture inside your finished chicken?
   Damn it that looks like a face hugger from aliens. Make sure I'm strapped if I spatchcock that way.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
Thank you for all of the great advice @mhiszem,@Fire Starter, @Old Dave, @HoosierKettle, @au4stree, @kettlebb, and @GoAnywhereJeep! Definitely have to try beer can chicken and spatchcocking a chicken breast-side down.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 09:26:08 PM »
Thank you for all of the great advice @mhiszem,@Fire Starter, @Old Dave, @HoosierKettle, @au4stree, @kettlebb, and @GoAnywhereJeep! Definitely have to try beer can chicken and spatchcocking a chicken breast-side down.
Yes, thanks to all who shared and to you too who shared your experience and asked. I'm learning vicariously through everyone here because I don't have enough to make all this food myself [emoji23]

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
I prefer the rotissss....

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.