Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spatchcock Chicken  (Read 4730 times)

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Spatchcock Chicken
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:31:47 PM »
Grilled up some spatchcock chicken yesterday. Used a seasoning recipe and glaze from the Pioneer Woman. It cooked faster than I thought (just under an hour and a half) at about 250 degrees. It wasn’t bad, but not great. Do any of you have any tips or tricks for getting the most flavor out of spatchcock chicken?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Spatchcock Chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »
Great color. Looks delicious

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »
Looks pretty bloody good from here, try stick ya finger under the skin and stick some garlic butter in

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 11:23:46 PM »
A tip or two to improve your chicken.

Spatchcock or butterflied chicken is about the poorest way to cook a chicken. You cut the chicken open and in your case, put it on the grill skin side up so all the juices with cook out of the chicken as there is nothing to stop the juice from running out of the meat. The heat from the fire will bring all the juice from the meat to the surface and it will just run out of the meat.

Ok, so if you must do it this way, place the chicken on the cooking grate skin side DOWN! Use the wonderful skin to block all the moisture from running out of the chicken when the heat pulls the juice to the surface of the meat. Do not turn it over for any reason and complete your cook in this manner. Even when you take it off when done, be very careful to keep it skin side down while it cools to allow all the moisture on the surface to return to the meat.

Skin side down will usually result in better skin on your finished chicken especially if you are using a good chicken grilling temperature of at least 300 degrees measured at the surface of the cooking grid.

I think you can see the puddles of juice on this butterflied chicken and this is constantly oozing out of your meat during your cook if you are cooking skin side up. Imagine, if you could keep all this wonderful flavor and moisture inside your finished chicken?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:41:58 AM »
Ive never spatchcocked. Try a beer can chicken. Put a half a beer in the butt and let the legs stabilize the bird upright. No need for any accessories. It will fit fine. I cook my birds much hotter but I guess it depends on what your after.  Your chicken does look good.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
I spatchcock and never have dry birds.  I cook them like you did but at a higher temp for crispy skin.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
Sorry to have wasted time with the beer can devices, personally. Spatchcock all the way - though i prefer to split the breast with some shears in one cut and done (aside from some additional minor trimming). Leave the spine in for flavor.

I have used beer and white wine and plain water in the beer can device and it takes for ever to come up to temp and 95% of it is still there after the cook. Not clear what value that it is actually adding. Sounds cool on paper. One thing that I have never tried but think will work would be to warm up the fluid before funneling it through the chicken's neck into the beer can reservoir.

Yup, skip the roti too. Have used them as well.

edit; spatchcock = same/similar results with less work, fewer contraptions and less cleaning.
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 02:23:29 PM »
I’m with you GoAnywhereJeep I’ve read that beer can doesn’t really add any different flavor profile and can increase cook time. Spatchcock is also a fun word to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »

I’m with you GoAnywhereJeep I’ve read that beer can doesn’t really add any different flavor profile and can increase cook time. Spatchcock is also a fun word to say.

I’ll give spatchcock a try sometime. I think I’ve done it but it’s been so long I don’t remember what it was like.

With beer can chicken, I agree that I don’t think the liquid adds flavor but I do think it aids in the moistness of the bird. My beer can chickens are done in about an hour to hour and a half so unless your being timid with your grill, I don’t think it adds time. I dump a semi circle of a full lit weber chimney in the grill and half vent the bottom and top open. It runs hot and cooks a perfect chicken. I start with a half beer though. I think that’s key and I drink the other half so no waste. [emoji41]

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 03:50:40 PM »
Lots of grate advice thus far.  I’ll just add that I cook my chickens at 300-325*.  I lightly coat chxns in olive oil, salt and black pepper. Place on grill skin up 1 hr then dip in olive oil and back on grill skin down for 1.5 hrs. Yields tender chxn and crispy skin. We serve with white sauce here in N. AL.

Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 04:00:31 PM »

edit; spatchcock = same/similar results with less work, fewer contraptions and less cleaning.

But I just bought a roti lol[emoji848]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 04:01:50 PM »

I love the roti. It does a lot more than chicken too.

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:10 AM »

Hehe u said cock hehe

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 01:17:53 AM »
Rottie rule

[attachment deleted by admin]

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 01:21:01 AM »

Rottie will be best investment uv made. [emoji106][emoji106]
Get a skewer kit a do ya pork on that