Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time snake/minion method....... Criticism welcome  (Read 10036 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
First time snake/minion method....... Criticism welcome
« on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:36 AM »
Making a shoulder Puerto-rican style.....   Usually when I cook slow I just add fuel as I go....but I wanted to try this out.

I stacked them three high.  First row all the way around....then second right next ....and third row right on top. 

I didn't count how many i lit, but about 15-20. 

Any criticism...suggestions are welcome.  other than the fact that I have nothing for smoke!  My assistant is in school and I have no idea where she HID them.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Re: First time snake/minion method....... Criticism welcome
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
Pictures would help huh?  ??? ;) ::)

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »

I tried the snake/fuse a couple weekends ago. About the same length as you but I think I did four wide on the SS performer (DD). Used a couple chunks of mesquite on top 'cause that's what I had.

Had a three pound pork butt set in the center of the grill with a CI skillet filled w/ hot water under it.

Went for about six hours at 260-275, checking more than I should. Bottom vent closed and top about 1/2+  ;D

Rested for two hours in foil.

And man, was it good!

I was happy for a first time smoked butt.

-Rick
Dude, relax your chicken.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:56:12 AM »
Thanks for replying ......  I have an 8lber .  Bottom vent halfway and top halfway as well.  Been on two hours......hate the waiting.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:06:36 AM »

Yeah, waiting is tough, especially when you know what's waiting at the end    8)
Dude, relax your chicken.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »
I have done about the same way but i left a gap between the the two sides, kinda like this: (( ))  with the third row on top of both rows.  I lit the left side at the top (as you look at it) and the right side at the bottom, so it would burn counter- clockwise.

I did it that way for a butterfly chicken and worked great, for longer cooks your set up would be best i think.  I don't think there is really a "wrong" way, more so how long you want to cook and how hot you want it.  Please post results and pictures please! ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
Good idea on the double sided technique.  Might be more how I like it, because I just refueled right now.  It wasn't running as hot as I like.

8lb shoulder on for Three hours and internal temp was 120.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
I have done this a number of times - just like you have it set up.  Two rows with a third briquet on top.  The snake went 3/4 around the grill.  I put wood chunks every 6 inches or so, right on top of the charcoal (about 4 to 5 chunks total).  Did not even bother with soaking the wood - it will smolder/smoke and not flame as long as you keep the lid on.  I always put a drip pan in the center to reduce the amount of fat dripping into my ash pan.  Lit one end of the fuse, put the grate on, and loaded 2 pork butts in the center of the grate.  Left top and bottom vents open - it cooks about 225 - 250 for 5-6 hours.  You can close the bottom vent part way if it is cooking too hot.  After the fuse is done, I wrapped the butts in foil and finished them in the oven, however, you could choose to "reload" the snake and continue to cook in the Weber if desired.  Lots of good smoke and bark on the meat.  Excellent pulled pork sandwiches!

Please post pictures after you are done!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:10:53 PM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
I have done about the same way but i left a gap between the the two sides, kinda like this: (( ))  with the third row on top of both rows.  I lit the left side at the top (as you look at it) and the right side at the bottom, so it would burn counter- clockwise.

I did it that way for a butterfly chicken and worked great, for longer cooks your set up would be best i think.  I don't think there is really a "wrong" way, more so how long you want to cook and how hot you want it.  Please post results and pictures please! ;D

This works for ribs also.......^^^^^^

Control heat with bottom vent(s), top all open.....the fire needs to exhaust  freely.......even says this in the 1958 how to cook the covered Weber way, I believe.......

My contribution to theoretical physics = pork, counterclockwise.......beef, clockwise
To account for the curvature of the Earth & not disrupt the space/time continuum....... 8)

My old 3-wheeler, "Bob"   runs mostly 260 under all kinds of circumstances with all vents, all open......

**He does have a good crusty layer of insulation which helps.......

*** One Touch vents are a bit different, maybe 1/2 open at start & adjust accordingly...........

****Winz's drip pan is a good idea, I just add beans & onions & peppers in..........

~~> This may help :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-beef-recipes/something-different/

Best examples I have here, I think.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:20:48 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
You beat me to it, Ken.  ??? ;) ^^^^

Everything looks excellent, Cookingmama! Need some pr0n pics, now!  :D

Ribs ...  Yeah, this is the method that I use a lot now.
Within that fuse / snake, I also put a few medium pieces of lump.
I was doing that in the winter to keep the heat up.
I also put some foil over some of the areas where drippings may fall on the charcoal.
And, also throw some drip pan beans in the mix .... if you like.  :)

I can easily get about 6 hours with this method. Never tried it with a butt.

And remember, if you're looking, you're not cooking. Opening the pitt will lengthen the time of your cook.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:36:56 PM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"