Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate holder mod  (Read 2458 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Grate holder mod
« on: February 11, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »
Took a grid/platesetter for an XL Big Green Egg and added it to the rear frame of the Mini Ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Grate holder mod
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:13:32 PM »
There are a few different sellers of these. I tried to bend some round stock but it kept snapping off at the close angles.
So I went with some from Onlyfire.

Works great for my application. I can see this working it’s way into another future mod.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:39:48 PM »
I like how your grate stores out of the way and you cant bump into it while your loading charcoal or cleaning the kettle. The old SSP has a hook on it that I always liked too.

What I always thought Weber should have done when they designed the bail's center support would have been to add a punched out tab/hook, close to the top where the bail goes through it, to hang the grate on. They might figure that out eventually.

Very well done Brian.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:46:33 PM by Hell Fire Grill »
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

dschoen0

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »
I love the idea.  That end of the kettle seems unusable, so that's a Great place to store the Grate  :-) .    I might try to heat and bend to 4043 steel rod and make myself one.  Thanks!!

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »
Nice modification swamprb!
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

au4stree

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »
Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Piggs McGee BBQ
"We're kind of a big deal"

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 05:24:39 AM »
Nice mod

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow